cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU - MPLS DS3 Setup Question

dphills18
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if I am in the correct section.

We have an MPLS network with DS3s. From what I understand (and correct me if I am wrong), MPLS puts 4 bytes on the packet. Our serial has an MTU size of 4470. Our Ethernet has an MTU size of 1500.

Do I need to change the MTU size, and if so on which interface do I need to make this change. My thinking is to change it on the serial interface (MTU => 4466).

Am I right in my assumption?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

first of all, if you are an MPLS user, there is no four bytes, just regular IP packets.

Differently if you were an MPLS SP.

Then, you don't need to change anything anyway, the large MTU on the serial is never used, but leave it as it is anyway.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

When doubts with mtu size, try pings with DF bit set, size 1500 end-to-end.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

first of all, if you are an MPLS user, there is no four bytes, just regular IP packets.

Differently if you were an MPLS SP.

Then, you don't need to change anything anyway, the large MTU on the serial is never used, but leave it as it is anyway.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the reply. We are having issues with a database query across the MPLS cloud, and I can't seem to put my finger on the issue. The query works fine on the LAN, but not via the MPLS cloud. I was thinking that it may have something to do with the MTU size.

When doubts with mtu size, try pings with DF bit set, size 1500 end-to-end.

hey man, that is awsome. thanks for the reply. never really knew about that. i always ENTER through that part of the extended ping. thanks again.

by the way, my problem is not with the MTU. kind of hoping that it was though. :(

Yep, there's even a short way;

ping xxx df size 1500 (requires recent ios)

now, about the strange problem, does the application works a little and slow, or not at all ?

only on this huge once a month query. i checked all the ports in the path (1000 full & DS3), and everything looks good to me. i'm not sure what i'm missing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: