cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 350, upgrade IOS via CLI (.tar)

jrozasmitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,I have many AP 350 Version 12.2 (13) JA1 and want to do upgrade 12.3 (8) JEA3

I can do copy tftp flash, but the image is .tar and is copied successfully, but not descomprime or executes the .tar.

Only I have had exist, when I realize the procedure of recovery for port serial, but I cannot do this with all the devices.

Which is the correct procedure via CLI, for file.tar?

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joan,

Can you try this method;

Using the CLI on the Serial Port

Follow the steps below to reload the access point image using CLI on the serial port. When the access point begins to boot, you interrupt the boot process and use boot loader commands to load an image from a TFTP server to replace the image in your access point

Note Your access point configuration is not changed when you use the CLI to reload the image file.

Step 1 Open the CLI using a Telnet session or a connection to the access point console port.

Step 2 Reboot the access point by removing and reapplying power.

Step 3 Let the access point boot until it begins to inflate the image. When you see these lines on the CLI, press Esc:

Loading "flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010/c350-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010"

...###########################################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

####################

Step 4 When the ap: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and DEFAULT_ROUTER options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 192.168.133.160

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.133.1

Step 5 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the access point for TFTP.

ap: tftp_init

Step 6 Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

•The -xtract option, which inflates the image when it is loaded

•The IP address of your TFTP server

•The directory on the TFTP server that contains the image

•The name of the image

•The destination for the image (the access point Flash)

Your entry might look like this example:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://192.168.130.222/images/c350-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA1 flash:

Step 7 When the display becomes full, the CLI pauses and displays --MORE--. Press the spacebar to continue.

extracting info (229 bytes)

c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

-- MORE --

Note If you do not press the spacebar to continue, the process eventually times out and the access point stops inflating the image.

Step 8 Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

Step 9 Enter the set command to check your bootloader entries.

ap: set

BOOT=flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c350-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

DEFAULT_ROUTER=192.168.133.1

IP_ADDR=192.168.133.160

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Step 10 Enter the boot command to reboot the access point. When the access point reboots, it loads the new image.

ap: boot

Hope this helps!

Rob

The problem is that I cannot realize the procedure for port serial, the devices are not to my scope and I must realize it for telnet. Another alternative exists?

Hi Joan,

I'm sorry but can't you Telnet to the IP and then use the cli?

Rob

Hi Rob and Thank you for your help and time.

If I do telnet, I cannot execute the step 3 "When you see these lines (####..) on the CLI, press Esc"

I imagine that this can be like a copy tftp flash:, but .tar not descomprime of this form

Joan

Joan

there is a VXWorks to IOS conversion tool that works over the network

the following three links are to documentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wlse/2.9/access_point/conversion/guide/faq_trbl.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a008019fea0.shtml#with

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/ios/administration/guide/tool3ios.html

this final link is to the conversion software

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=2.1%20Tool&mdfid=268438201&sftType=Aironet%20VxWorks%20to%20Cisco%20IOS%20Conversion%20Tool%20and%20Image&optPlat=null&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco%20Aironet%20350%20Acces...

I have used this process and it does work. It replaces the VXWorks boot loader and image with the IOS boot loader and image.

A word of caoution you can expect a failure so be prepared to follow the recovery proceedue using the serial port. if you have 10 expect one failure. I have always been able to recover with the serial port proceedure.

Good Luck

Bill

Thank you for your help.

My problem I solve simply with: archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.11.10.23/c350-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA3.tar

Thank you,

bye

Joan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: