cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5500 - SC - 10 "What is this?"

jessdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I recently found two unopened big white envelopes. Aside from the Cisco logo, serial numbers and some bar codes, all the envelopes say is: ASA5500 - SC - 10 DESC: ASA5500 10 Security Contexts License

The envelopes are still sealed. I don't want to open the envelopes in case this turns out to be something that we might want to just sell.

I googled this and obviously they are some kind of licenses for the ASA 5500 but even with google I couldn't get any specifics that really told me what I have in my hands. Can anyone explain what these are?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can look at a security context as a virtual firewall. Each virtual firewall can have it own configuration and is independent from the other virtual firewalls.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA5500-sc-10-DES...this is a license feature set

This means your ASA 5500 can support 10 security context and has a 3DES support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/specs.html

We actually do have an ASA. I checked the licensing on the ASA and it says INSIDE HOSTS 50, VPN PEERS 10.

So if I add these two licenses that I found would that give us a total of 70 inside hosts and 30 VPN peers?

I looked at that linked PDF but I still don't understand what exactly is meant by "10 security contexts."

You can look at a security context as a virtual firewall. Each virtual firewall can have it own configuration and is independent from the other virtual firewalls.

Interesting. It doesn't look like something that I could really use though. We'll probably just sell the licenses or something.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: