cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5500 - SC - 10 "What is this?"

jessdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I recently found two unopened big white envelopes. Aside from the Cisco logo, serial numbers and some bar codes, all the envelopes say is: ASA5500 - SC - 10 DESC: ASA5500 10 Security Contexts License

The envelopes are still sealed. I don't want to open the envelopes in case this turns out to be something that we might want to just sell.

I googled this and obviously they are some kind of licenses for the ASA 5500 but even with google I couldn't get any specifics that really told me what I have in my hands. Can anyone explain what these are?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can look at a security context as a virtual firewall. Each virtual firewall can have it own configuration and is independent from the other virtual firewalls.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA5500-sc-10-DES...this is a license feature set

This means your ASA 5500 can support 10 security context and has a 3DES support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/specs.html

We actually do have an ASA. I checked the licensing on the ASA and it says INSIDE HOSTS 50, VPN PEERS 10.

So if I add these two licenses that I found would that give us a total of 70 inside hosts and 30 VPN peers?

I looked at that linked PDF but I still don't understand what exactly is meant by "10 security contexts."

You can look at a security context as a virtual firewall. Each virtual firewall can have it own configuration and is independent from the other virtual firewalls.

Interesting. It doesn't look like something that I could really use though. We'll probably just sell the licenses or something.