cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager groups and failing over

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I do not have a CM6 cluster in front of me, but Im trying to go through a design in my head and on paper and cant recall a setting in CM6.

If I have CM Group A with SubA and SubB as members

CM Group B with SubC and SubD

Can have CM Group B fail to Group A and vice versa ? Is there a place for this? I cant recall.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey TCat,

Sorry, still the same old Failover via Callmanager Groups.

CM Group A with SubA and SubB as members (You can add SubC or SubD)

CM Group B with SubC and SubD as members (You can add SubA or SubB)

Cisco Unified CallManager Groups

A Cisco Unified CallManager group comprises a prioritized list of up to three Cisco Unified CallManagers. The first Cisco Unified CallManager in the list serves as the primary Cisco Unified CallManager for that group, and the other members of the group serve as secondary (backup) Cisco Unified CallManagers.

Cisco Unified CallManager groups associate with devices through device pools. Each device belongs to a device pool, and each device pool specifies the Cisco Unified CallManager group for all of its devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Some Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) devices, such as gateways and route/hunt lists, can associate directly with Cisco Unified CallManager groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cisco Unified CallManager groups provide two important features for your system:

•Prioritized failover list for backup call processing-When a device registers, it attempts to connect to the primary (first) Cisco Unified CallManager in the group that is assigned to its device pool. If the primary Cisco Unified CallManager is not available, the device tries to connect to the next Cisco Unified CallManager that is listed in the group, and so on. Each device pool has one Cisco Unified CallManager group that is assigned to it.

•Call processing load balancing-You can configure device pools and Cisco Unified CallManager groups to distribute the control of devices across multiple Cisco Unified CallManagers. See the "Balanced Call Processing" section of the Cisco Unified CallManager System Guide, Release 5.0(4), for more information.

For most systems, you will assign a single Cisco Unified CallManager to multiple groups to achieve better load distribution and redundancy.

Adding a Cisco Unified CallManager Group

•Cisco Unified CallManagers automatically get installed and configured.

•Each Cisco Unified CallManager cluster can have only one default auto-registration group. If you choose a different Cisco Unified CallManager group as the default auto-registration group, the previously chosen auto-registration group no longer serves as the default for the cluster.

•You must reset the devices that use the updated Cisco Unified CallManager group to apply any changes that you make.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_1_1/nci/a02sycfg.html#wp1059777

Hope this helps my friend!

Rob

You have the cutting and pasting of a season veteran.

Yeah, I kind of figured that there were no group failovers. I basically have to create a bunch of groups to configure my failover correctly with the correct servers.

Trying to keep my groups configured correctly with associations to Device Pools and failover. Also, designating Subscribers for Media Devices, Gateways, etc only, then others for phones only, on top of having twin datacenters. So its a lot of pieces. 34 sites, 15k of phones, and 8 server cluster between two datacenters.

Fun stuff.

Thanks!