Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rsync?

Helo,

I would like to know if there is the possibility of Ironport lets you interact with the protocol Rsync or any third-party tool that does this?

Thanks,
Alex Martins

14 Replies 14

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

AsyncOS has no support for rsync, at least none that I've ever heard about. What are you wanting to do that makes rsync attractive?

To transfer log, would have a better control!

Alex Martins

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

I guess I'm missing something. As far as I know, the big benefit of rsync happens when the file you're transferring has changed since last time, because then rsync can transfer only the differences. That's not an issue with IronPort logs, since they're transferred out only when rolled over.

Rsync does have lots of options, but I don't see how any of them would be useful in the very simple case of copying individual text files from one location to another.

Pat_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Why you don't transfer the files with WGET? You can tell WGET to transfer just the new(er) files only.

REM Get logfiles from IronPort-FTP 
REM -r = recursive
REM -N = don't re-retrieve files unless newer than local

wget -r -N ftp://username:password@1.2.3.4
You can download WGET for Win32 from http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

Most of the users requiring a file transfer will use SCP or PSCP on windows.
you can usethis for free with Putty

Why you don't transfer the files with WGET? You can tell WGET to transfer just the new(er) files only.
REM Get logfiles from IronPort-FTP 
REM -r = recursive
REM -N = don't re-retrieve files unless newer than local

wget -r -N ftp://username:password@1.2.3.4
You can download WGET for Win32 from http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

I´m not use transfer with FTP protocol, FTP no secure. I am currently using transfer by scp.

Thanks,
Alex Martins

SCP is the most secure way of doing this and it's support natively in the log subscriptions :)

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

You can tell WGET to transfer just the new(er) files only.

Or you can push the logs instead of pull them. That way, the appliance sends each log exactly when it's ready.

Or you can push with SCP to, you have the options to push to a Remote SCP Server.
Options that are the same for any retrieval method are that you can schedule this on a time basis or when it hits a certain size. I personally reccomend that you send the log file when it reaches no more than 10MB as you don't want a massive file flying across your wire.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Or you can push with SCP

I wasn't making a comment on which protocol to use to do the push. I was simply remarking that pushing the logs instead of pulling them means you don't have to figure out which files have or haven't been transferred yet. We use SCP push here.

Sorry Dude, that was a coincidence, I was writing another reply to my original and you replied in the middle :lol:
SCP is the way to go from a security point of view

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Cool. And yes, SCP is the only way to fly for security reasons.

On a related topic, I wish that SFTP was available so that I could clean out /configuration without having to turn FTP on. I can do this:

ssh admin@ironport ls /configuration

to see the accumulated junk (mainly old copies of config files), but I can't use "rm" to delete them. No doubt this is a security measure to keep people from damaging the appliance, but using FTP to delete files works just fine. Maybe FTP is easier to lock into particular directories where it can be made reasonably harmless.

Bart_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

On a related topic, I wish that SFTP was available so that I could clean out /configuration without having to turn FTP on. I can do this:
ssh admin@ironport ls /configuration

to see the accumulated junk (mainly old copies of config files), but I can't use "rm" to delete them. No doubt this is a security measure to keep people from damaging the appliance, but using FTP to delete files works just fine. Maybe FTP is easier to lock into particular directories where it can be made reasonably harmless.

We have the same problem on a few devices. Backup scripts export the config to file every day and use SCP to copy it, but the script has no secure way of deleting the files. So they just accumulate.. i always wondered if one day the directory would get full ;)
I think I had a feature request for this, but can't find it anymore (it was created a very long time ago).

I created log files, with 500k size of each log and gave the name "mfc_logs" but I not sent using SCP for appliance, I copy them using scripts php and is being functional, the files are transferred quickly from 500k, accumulate a maximum of 500 files for equipment.

Sorry for my porr English :)

Thanks,
Alex Martins

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: