Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP issues with OS X Clients

gflillich
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have an issue with a particular client that is running a Cisco 871 Router. It does the NAT as well as IDS functions. The problem has been happening is that Mac users cannot get upload speeds faster than about 3.0kb/s to most FTP sites. I can connect and upload just fine with a PC. The Macs can download at normal speed from the same sites, but, not upload. It seems to occur on about half of the FTP sites that they use. I have ruled out the machines as the problem, the ISP says it isn't doing any filtering. The only thing I can think of would be something with the router configuration. I have attached the important parts of the config. If anyone could give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

9 Replies 9

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

What ftp client software are those MACs using? Fetch? Have you tried different ftp client for them? What OS version are those MAC running? Patch up-to-date?

I don't think there's anything wrong with your config, since you're able to ftp upload/download just fine. About the MAC, I would think that it's more of the application issue than the router config.

Take a look at these links, and try out different ftp client to see if it helps.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/?p=407

http://gthing.net/yummy-ftp-verdict-the-best-mac-ftp-client

hth

hieu

Hieu,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried 3 different FTP clients on both 10.4 and 10.5 systems fully patched: Transmit, Filezilla, and the command line FTP in OSX. All 3 do the same thing. One interesting note when I tried the command line FTP tonight it would transmit about 5-10kb then say stalled for about 30 secs then transmit 5-10kb, stall, etc.

I even took over my Powerbook to the clients office and it did the slowdown on upload then I took it over to another client that has the same ISP, router model/config, and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi, are you useing pppoe on the FW ?

Does it happen when you connect on vlan1, or the other vlans you have ?

No PPPOE. It is a burstable T-1 with ethernet hand-off to the Cisco 871.

The clients that I am concerned about and have been testing are on vlan1. I haven't checked the other vlans. I figured they would do the same thing.

Hi, on vlan 1 you have "ip tcp adjust-mss 1452" that unless you're using PPPoE somewhere, isn't necessary.

Thanks, I removed it earlier and that didn't help the problem and put it back it. I think it was part of the initial config that the SDM software puts on.

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff,

You might want to try this if you've not yet tried already:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.5/en/c7fs18.html

Also, if your MAC is FTPing using Passive mode, then try disabling it.

hieu

Hi hieu,

I don't know that I could force passive versus active because this is the client end I am having problems with. I can connect to and upload to some servers using passive mode, others won't work.

I found that if I remove the following lines from the config I can upload at normal speeds from the Macs:

ip inspect name SDM_LOW tcp

ip inspect name SDM_LOW ftp

I have to remove both for it to work if I mleave one of the two in it doesn't work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco