cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using microsoft ocs with cisco 3745 and trunk gateway

chinenyeo
Level 1
Level 1

I have been assigned to implement our gateway solutions. We are presently using microsoft ocs, am planning to connect nm-hdv-2e1/t1 gateway to the router and to pstn. Any idea on whether the microsoft ocs can work with the gateway?

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I dont think the 3745 will support a SIP trunk from anything. only MGCP, H323, etc. OCS only uses SIP or if you have a T1 card in the server, then it will connect via T1 (server) to T1 (router).

If I recall, MSFT is not supporting the Cisco Router yet for OCS - SIP - Cisco Router. They are only using SIP gateways from Intel, AudioCodes, NetCom, etc. They have an approved list there.

The other way you can do this, which I have set up is to use Presence. You can setup a OCS-SIP Trunk ---> Presence. Presence is connected to CallManager which processes the calls in/out.

Remember the koolaid MSFT is pushing out about OCS is only koolaid, dont buy into. It's not a PBX or call processing platform. It's a SIP endpoint to make and take calls, anything else it cant handle. (911, MWIs, call processing, etc)

Sorry, not a huge fan of the OCS as a PBX. The IM product is great. If MSFT and Cisco can get the call control piece to work in the SIP trunk, the IM client and CallManager/Presence will be great for everyone!

tcatlinins,

That's a great piece of advice from you. I will look into your suggestions and give you a feedback

Actually the 3745 or any other cisco voice device do perfectly support SIP trunk, and with a lot of features too.

If you want to make it work with a third-party device it's just a matter of some configuration, not even very difficult most of the times.

I agree with the SIP trunks and cisco gateways completely.

I actually just found this. They must have updated it since last time I looked.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx#qualified

Sorry for the mistaken quote I made about the gateways. But some of it is true. The 37XX is not supported. You may be able to get it to work, but not supported by MSFT.

cheers!

Ok. I will use the opportunity to press for an upgrade to 3845. Thanks a lot.