cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Problems after 1250 with n-enabled is in range ?

dne222
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, one of our customers got problems with his clients after we installed a 1250 in his radio range. The 1250 is connected to a different network and also has a different ssid. His own Cisco APs installed 5 Meters away and the 1250 is about 150 Meter away from his APs. The Clients "sees" the beacons of the 1250-n and gets interrupted. After we disabled the n (only b/g activated) his clients work fine again. Any suggestions about the problem ? Maybe the clients can't interpret the n beacons and hang up ?

Thanks for suggestions or informations...

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is wierd... I have a 1252 configured for 40mhz channel width on 802.11a and 20mhz channel on 802.11b/g right next to my current wireless ap running 802.11b/g and I have no problems at all. My 1252 is for testing so I would know if this was giving me any issues. What client device is having issues. I have an Intel 3945 and also a broadcom in another laptop.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

All N-Clients work fine. In this case we have a LXE handheld (b/g) that losses the connectivity to his (b/g) AP - and the only thing that we can see on the "air" is the beacon of the 1252 with about 10 snr and the own ap with about 40+ snr. So for me it seems like the driver of the handheld is buggy or the n uses fields or something that is used by the vendor for something.... hard to find more informations and to find out what the clients does inside :)

This is where you have to get LXE involved to help you with this issue. They should of have started testing the 1252's utilizing 'N' since most customers will eventually upgrade to this ap.

If you are seeing beacons, you are seeing channel overlap. For example, if your b/g ap is set on channel 6 and your 1252b/g is set to 11, for 'N' you will be using channel 11 and 6 bonded together. or if you have it set on channel 1, you will be using channel 6 also if you have 40mhz above. So with your other ap, set the 2.4ghz on channel 1 and set your 1252 to channel 11 and use 40mhz channel width below set. this will boned 11 with channel 6. If you ever add another 1252, you will have issues. You will need to use the 5ghz side for 'N' and not the 2.4ghz because there are more channels you can use.

-Scott

The customers has two aps in range of the 1252. Channel 1 and 11 are used by him with outdoor antennas. So my 1252 tells me (over WLC/WCS) that he uses channel 6. If i understand you correctly : When iam activating n on the 1252 - it uses a 40mhz channel and uses the whole bandwith from channel 6 to 11 (13) for my ssid - but the customers ap is much more stronger than my 1252 @ 150 meters away and has no connected client. If i would connect a client and using n-speed i would get some collisions with the channels and the bandwith - thats right - but also the customers aps are with 40+ snr much more stronger than my 1252 in a different building - so i am sure they get some collisions or retransmissions.

You have to set the 40mhz channel width to enable 'N'. So it will use channel 6 to 11 if you enable 40mhz above or else 1 to 6 if you use 40mhz below.

-Scott

Channel bonding is neither recommended nor supported for the B. Cisco supports Channel Bonding on A. Recommend that a call be opened with the LXE Helpdesk for assistance with this issue. The number to call is 877-493-0947.

Thanks everetts33,

we will inform our customer to open a service request at lxe regarding that compatibility problem with the cisco 1252 accesspoint in radio-range. If i get any feedback from our customer regarding the solution, i will post it here to provide all board users the information.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card