CCNP Exam Eligibilty

Unanswered Question
Feb 14th, 2008

My CCNA and CCNP both expired in 2006 when I was more focused on my degree and didn't have time to recertify. In any case, I'm looking to recertify them both this year and am currently enrolled in the Advanced Routing CCNP course through a local Network Academy.

So, my question is whether or not I can schedule and take the BSCI exam before I recertify my CCNA. Also, if I am able and pass the exam, will it qualify towards a CCNP even if I don't have my CCNA yet?

I do intend to get my CCNA again, but I'd rather focus on this CCNP course and take the exam immediately following the completion of the class.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dbeare Thu, 02/14/2008 - 07:57

As far as I understand it, you can take the exams in any order, so if you take the BSCI, it will count towards your CCNP. But, you will not be able to be a CCNP until you completely your CCNA certification, as it is a pre-requisite. Hope that helps.

bwgray Thu, 02/14/2008 - 09:14

Since your certification expired, you will need to write the CCNA again, before going for any of the CCNP exams.

miclawso Tue, 02/19/2008 - 08:18

You can take the CCNP exams, however you must pass the CCNA exam before you can achieve CCNP.

scottmac Tue, 02/19/2008 - 09:01

If your CCNP expired, then you must start from the beginning, as if you were never certified.

The "642-" exam recert is only good while your certification is current. Once it's expired, you are not certified, so there's nothing to "re-Cert"

Starting from the beginning means you'll also have to take the CCNA tests again as well (assuming that it is also expired, if not, then forget it ... the first "642-" exam you take will also recert your CCNA (as long as it hasn't expired)

Sorry for the bad news, good luck!

Scott

Actions

This Discussion