Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3560-8PC Discovery Issues

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This one has me scratching my head. We have a number of these devices on our network all configured exactly the same (well apart from the obvious necessary changes). However Cisco LMS does not discover some of the devices whilst it easily discovers others.

The IOS versions are all the same and the SNMP details are all the same. When I enable SNMP debugging on one of the devices that is not found, the log file shows the entries below.

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Packet received via UDP from xx.xx.xx.14 on Vlan2

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Get request, reqid 13722, errstat 0, erridx 0

system.2.0 = NULL TYPE/VALUE

system.5.0 = NULL TYPE/VALUE

sysUpTime.0 = NULL TYPE/VALUE

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Response, reqid 13722, errstat 2, erridx 1

system.2.0 = NULL TYPE/VALUE

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Packet sent via UDP to xx.xx.xx.14

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Packet received via UDP from xx.xx.xx.14 on Vlan2

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Get request, reqid 13725, errstat 0, erridx 0

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Response, reqid 13725, errstat 2, erridx 1

Feb 14 15:47:11: SNMP: Packet sent via UDP to xx.xx.xx.14

Can anyone give me a clue what is wrong here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think I see what's going on here. LMS is polling this device with the community string "public". Since public is only defined to be a notify string, every request will get a NO_SUCH_NAME response.

Therefore, you need to adjust your community strings in Discovery SNMP Settings so that the proper string is used to poll this device.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The errstat 2 indicates that the device is reporting that sysObjectID is not a valid object. So either SNMP is completely broken on this device, or there is a view applied to the community string being used with excludes sysObjectID. A full show run and show ver would help narrow down this problem.

Please find attached as requested the full run and version outputs.

Thanks for the help

I think I see what's going on here. LMS is polling this device with the community string "public". Since public is only defined to be a notify string, every request will get a NO_SUCH_NAME response.

Therefore, you need to adjust your community strings in Discovery SNMP Settings so that the proper string is used to poll this device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: