Views
Helpful
Replies

NetFlow

glaucio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for solution to analyze, monitor, troubleshooting and find out issues at data traffic flow like loss connection, packet retransmission on Cisco Switch 6500 at LAN. I have already seen suggestion to enable Netflow feature with a NetFlow Collector using software from many companies (e.g FlukeNetworks, ManageEngine, Plixer International and SolarisWinds) but it only looks like useful for WAN environment.

Can I use Netflow feature for LAN environment?

Can anyone give a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Glaucio

4 Replies 4

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Glaucio,

I would like to know what all config changes you did to enable netFlow in your 6500 switch. As far as I know it should work for WAN as well LAN environment.

--gaurav

Not all switch platforms support netflow

For eg

6500 supports netflow

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/netflow-catalyst6500.pdf

4500 with SupIV and SupV also support neflow but you need to install the daughter card (WS-F4531 )

On the old 5500 RSM based switches, you require the NFFC card for netflow

HTH

Narayan

Hi Gaurav,

I have not deployed this solution yet but you can easily find this configuration (CATOS/CATIOS platform) on Cisco WebSite. I have decided to deploy NetFlow and SNMP RMON MIB for monitoring all IP-based traffic on Switch interfaces at LAN and WAN environment.

Regards,

Glaucio

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the level of detail you're looking for, i.e. loss connection and packet retransmission, I'm uncertain Netflow data alone will suffice. If you have a 6500, something such as the Network Analysis Module might be required. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps5025/product_data_sheet0900aecd804bab11_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card