cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upload IOS

vsurinovich
Level 1
Level 1

I attempting to upload IOS to a FLASH drive on Cisco router 2821 via console.

But I'm getting a failure message:

"ARP: address resolution for 216.214.47.112 timed out.

ARP failed with failure code 1. TFTP transfer aborted."

Here is the input:

IP_ADDRESS=216.214.47.70

rommon 7 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

rommon 8 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=216.214.47.1

rommon 9 > TFTP_SERVER=216.214.47.112

rommon 10 > TFTP_FILE=c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-17a.bin

rommon 11 > tftpdnld

And here is the output:

IP_ADDRESS: 216.214.47.70

IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 216.214.47.1

TFTP_SERVER: 216.214.47.112

TFTP_FILE: c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-17a.bin

TFTP_VERBOSE: Progress

TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: 18

TFTP_TIMEOUT: 7200

TFTP_CHECKSUM: Yes

TFTP_MACADDR: 00:15:63:8f:4a:c0

GE_PORT: Gigabit Ethernet 0

GE_SPEED_MODE: Auto

Invoke this command for disaster recovery only.

WARNING: all existing data in all partitions on flash will be lost!

Do you wish to continue? y/n: [n]: y

ARP: address resolution for 216.214.47.112 timed out.

ARP failed with failure code 1. TFTP transfer aborted.

TFTP: Operation terminated prematurely.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Vlad.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vlad

I am glad that you could find the directory and were able to copy the IOS image file to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vlad

Your router believes that the TFTP server is at address 216.214.47.112 which is in the local subnet. Can you verify that the IP address on the TFTP server is 216.214.47.112 and that the server is in the same broadcast domain with the router (looks like interface Gig0 on the router)?

From the fact that ARP is failing I am wondering if the server address is not right or if the server might not be in the same broadcast domain as the router interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

in my scenario I have one router and one computer. The computer is TFTP server and connected directly to the router via network and comm ports. The computer's IP is 216.214.47.112, Gateway 216.214.47.1

Sincerely,

Vlad.

Hi Vlad.

"I attempting to upload IOS to a FLASH drive on Cisco router 2821 via CONSOLE. "

I believe that you are trying to load a image via console port, not through the network, am I right? If this is your scenario, you need to transfer the image via Xmodem, using the Hyperterminal, setting your console speed to the maximum (115000 bps). With a little patience you could load the image without problems.

The router output attempting to a disaster recovering is because this resource is commonly used when the router boots in ROMmon.

Regards.

Hi Frank.

where .bin file with IOS should be located on PC? Under root?

Regards,

Vlad.

I'm nor sure if I have correct IOS, so I'm downloading now another file with IOS.

Could someone help me choose what package I need to download out of this list:

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES

ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES WITH SNA SWITCHING

ADVANCED IP SERVICES

ADVANCED SECURITY

AISK9-AESK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

AISK9-AISK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

ASK9-AESK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

ASK9-AISK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

ASK9-ASK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

ENTERPRISE BASE

ENTERPRISE BASE W/O CRYPTO

ENTERPRISE SERVICES

ENTERPRISE SERVICES W/O CRYPTO

INT VOICE/VIDEO GK, IPIP GW, TDMIP GW

INT VOICE/VIDEO GK, IPIPGW, TDMIP GW AES

INT VOICE/VIDEO GK, IPIPGW, TDMIP GW AES, LI

INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIP GW, TDMIP GW

INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIPGW, TDMIP GW AES

IP BASE

IP BASE W/O CRYPTO

IP VOICE

IP VOICE W/O CRYPTO

SP SERVICES

SPSK9-AESK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

SPSK9-AISK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

SPSK9-ESK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

SPSK9-SPSK9 FEAT SET FACTORY UPG FOR BUNDLES

Thank you,

Vlad.

Vlad

I am not seeing anything in what you have posted that looks like the image is bad or not right. Are you seeing something that is not yet posted that makes you think that the problem is with the image? If so can you tell us what?

The filename in the original attempt to load IOS was the SP SERVICES image. Without knowing more about your environment and your requirements it would be difficult for us to advise on what feature set would be appropriate for you.

I would like to go back to an earlier post. You say that the PC is connected directly to the router. Is it connected with straight through cable or with crossover cable? If it is straight through then that is the problem - the router and directly connected PC should be connected with crossover cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Frederico

The output in the original post clearly shows that he is attempting to use tftpdnld which runs TFTP on a LAN port.

IP_ADDRESS=216.214.47.70

rommon 7 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0

rommon 8 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=216.214.47.1

rommon 9 > TFTP_SERVER=216.214.47.112

rommon 10 > TFTP_FILE=c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-17a.bin

rommon 11 > tftpdnld

While xmodem may be a possibility to consider it is much slower than tftpdnld. At first I was a bit confused about the statement of loading via CONSOLE but then realized that he is describing a console session to the router and not really trying to load over the console connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick and Fred,

I tried to download IOS from TFTP server and in Xmodem console. Result the same - "timed out". When I was working with TFTP server I tried both cables straight and crossover with the same result.

Here is an output when I'm turn on the router:

"System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Initializing memory for ECC

c2821 processor with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized

device does not contain a valid FS

boot: cannot open "flash:"

boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

c2821 processor with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled."

Look for the line "device does not contain a valid FS". Does it mean that device does not see IOS, or CF can be bad?

Also, in what directory of TFTP server IOS has to be located? Under TFTP?

Regards,

Vlad.

Vlad

In the original post the output clearly shows that the router is attempting to ARP for the TFTP server and that ARP was failing. Was that with the straight through cable? When you try it with the cross over cable do you get the same error output about ARP failing? Before we focus on whether TFTP works we must get ARP to work. Without a success in ARP there is no possibility that TFTP will work. It might be some issue other than cables. But if ARP fails then there will be no communication over the LAN interface. Before we can worry about TFTP we must get the interface working so that the router and the PC can ARP for each other.

The message about device does not contain a valid FS is worrying me. It would seem to indicate that there is a problem with your flash. If there is a problem with the flash then any attempt to load a new image will fail. I have seen issues where the compact flash card had become loose or not seated well. Can you try removing the compact flash and re-seating it? Or can you try a different compact flash in this router?

What directory the image should be in will depend on which TFTP server you are running. Some of the implementations want it to be in root. Many of the implementations want it to be in the tftpboot directory. The version of the server that I typically run allows you to configure the server and to specify whatever directory you want. So the answer very much depends on what TFTP server you are running.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Vlad,

Please provide the following outputs from ROMMON:

dev

dir flash:

dir slot0:

If you are using Xmodem (xmodem will FORMAT the flash and copy the new IOS), you need to have console connection the router (via rollover cable) and no other cable is required. To increase the throuhput bump the baud rate to 115200bps and use xmodem with -cy switch (choose ymodem under protocol when). Here are the steps:

Increase the baudrate to 115200

ROMMON1>confreg 0x3922

ROMMON2>reset

Now disconnect the hyperterminal session and connect again with 115200 as buad rate.

Issue xmodem:

ROMMON1>xmodem -cy

On hyperterminal window go to -> Transfer>Send File . Browse to the IOS file location and under protocol drop down choose ymodem.

Once completed the rotuer would reload and take you to the 'Router>' prompt. No other manual intervention would be required.

Steps to set the baud rate back to 9600 are:

router#

conf t

line con 0

speed 9600

(At this point you would loose console access. Disconnect the console session and connect again @ 9600 bps)

exit

wr mem

--------------

When using TFTPDNLD -

Connect the router directly (via crossover cable) to the tftp server and assign the IP address for the TFTP server as the default gateway as well.

If using a switch in between the router and the TFTP server, set the TFTP server IP and the DG on the router to be the same (if the tftp server and the router are in the same subnet).

Only if the tftp server and the router are in different subnets, you would use a DG other then the tftp server IP.

Make sure any firewall or VPN client is not blocking access to the tftp server.

Use the following tftp server and the IOS file will have to be stored in the same directory as the tftp server.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/download/tftpd32.323.zip

Let me know if you run into any issues.

HTH,

-Vaibhav

Vaibhav,

thank you for advise how to increase the baudrate to 115200. It's really helped. The IOS was copying about 1.5 hours but I still redceived an error. Here is the message:

WARNING: All existing data in flash will be lost!

Invoke this application only for disaster recovery.

Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y

Ready to receive file c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-18.bin ...

Unknow file system on Compact flash

Converting to LEFS

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeee

Download Complete!

open: bad first simple flash file magic number (0xffffffff) at (logicl) location

0x0

open(): Open Error = -1

loadprog: error - on file open

rommon 5 >

Also, down bellow you can outputs that you requested:

rommon 8 > dev

Devices in device table:

id name

flash: compact flash

bootflash: boot flash

eprom: eprom

rommon 9 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

rommon 10 > dir slot0:

bad device name

usage: dir

Regards,

Vlad.

Vlad,

Looks like there's some problem with the flash. We can try to recover it. Normally when you do xmodem the flash will be formatted and then the IOS is copied on it. The output that you have provided shows that the flash is being formatted (the letter 'e' means erasing ). Once this is done the file is copied (you would see repeated '!' signs which means the file is being copied) to the DRAM and then to flash and the FAT is build. The output above does not show that. Either it stopped halfway or probably you din't wait long enough (it normally sits there for about 2mins and then proceeds).

Anyways, if the flash is bad, we can copy the IOS directly to DRAM and not to flash by using the -r switch. This would be even faster and once the IOS is copied to DRAM, the router will boot to the router prompt. Then we can format the flash and copy using the tftp server.

It just struck me, since this is a 2800 router, if you have a PCMCIA card reader you can directly format the flash card and copy the image on to it from your laptop/workstation.

Else, try this :

rommon>xmodem -cry

Be careful not to reload the router as it will drop into ROMMON again. You'll have to copy the IOS to the flash (after xmodem -cry) so that it boots up fine everytime using the IOS copied in the flash.

HTH,

~Vaibhav

Vaibhav,

I ran xmodem -cry .... Here is an output:

*Feb 22 16:49:50.591: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEth

ernet0/1, changed state to down

*Feb 22 16:49:50.591: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0/

0, changed state to down

*Feb 22 16:49:50.823: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Feb 22 16:49:51.151: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(18),

RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 30-Nov-07 16:35 by prod_rel_team

*Feb 22 16:49:51.155: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host yourname is undergoi

ng a cold start

*Feb 22 16:49:51.595: %CRYPTO-6-ISAKMP_ON_OFF: ISAKMP is OFF

*Feb 22 16:49:52.823: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed sta

te to administratively down

*Feb 22 16:49:52.839: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0/0/0, changed state to a

dministratively down

*Feb 22 16:49:54.023: %DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 2 in slot 0, changed state to up

*Feb 22 16:49:55.327: %DSPRM-5-UPDOWN: DSP 1 in slot 0, changed state to up% Gen

erating 1024 bit RSA keys, keys will be non-exportable...[OK]

*Feb 22 16:50:08.687: %SSH-5-ENABLED: SSH 1.99 has been enabled

*Feb 22 16:50:09.223: %PKI-6-AUTOSAVE: Running configuration saved to NVRAM _

It did not drop to ROMMON. I did not reload the router. What's next?

Regards,

Vlad.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: