Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 serial connection to a modem

austindaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There;

I'm looking for an example interface script for an asynchronous RS422 serial connection from a 2811(DTE) to a modem(DCE). How do I route the traffic to the modem? For instance, am I required to give the modem an ip address to act as the next hop?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

> How do I route the traffic to the modem?

You don't route traffic to the modem, just like you don't route traffic to your phone line. The connection is strictly layer1.

> For instance, am I required to give the modem an ip address to act as the next hop?

You can assign an IP address to certain modems for remote management purposes, however these modems have a dedicated port for such tasks, they don't use the serial port.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

> How do I route the traffic to the modem?

You don't route traffic to the modem, just like you don't route traffic to your phone line. The connection is strictly layer1.

> For instance, am I required to give the modem an ip address to act as the next hop?

You can assign an IP address to certain modems for remote management purposes, however these modems have a dedicated port for such tasks, they don't use the serial port.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: