Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN question

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will setup a office in China. The full capacity is 2000 people and 5 floors. I would like to setup 30 VLAN. which model of router is better?

rdgs

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

So how many users per floor, typically 400 if we divide 2000 by 5 it comes 400. So you can have a 6513 chassis per-floor with 9 48-port modules. You can also have two 4507R's with redundant sup engines. If you want stack solution then you can have 3750's in the access layer.

In your core you can have 2 6506 with sup-720 connected together and have the servers directly connected to the chassis. If you want more scalability you can have 6509E chassis in the core.

As far as the WAN router is concerned you can plan it according to the WAN link bandwitdh that you will get.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi,

6 vlan for each floor (3 for data, 3 for ip phone). 65xx is very expensive, I would like to consider 45xx or 3750 switch. can it (45xx / 3750) support 30 Vlan? I assume that the inter-vlan traffic per vlan is 5M.

Moreover, does router 4700 support those traffic? or router 3800?

Base on the scale, do I use the L3 switching or VLAN setting?

for the WAN link, 2 or 3 E1 IPLC will be installed. When traffic is higer than it, we will setup DS3 or MPLS or ATM or Ethernet.

Anything should I aware when I deploy about design?

thank you very much

rdgs

Hi:

I would like to add a comment or two to the very useful comments made by Amit.

The problem with deploying a 3750 stackable solution or even a 4510, as opposed to Amit's suggestion of a 6513, is that you will not have too many extra ports for growth and scalability. A 3750 stack cannot have more than 9 layers, which will yield 432 user ports. Now, that is more than the estimated 400 per floor, but just barely. Moreover, stacking 9 3750s, although permissible, is not recommended. At least not from my experience. I have experienced several instances in which a failure of one or 2 layers has resulted in the need to reboot the entire stack. If you decide to go with the 6513 solution, I would definitely recommend the SUP-32 PISA, which is designed specifically with the wiring closet and enterprise edge in mind. It offeres application optimization features, as well as DDoS attack mitigation.

On the other hand, you may have more than one wiring closet per floor, given the floor's architecture and set up. In that case, a 3750 or 4500 series solotion for each closet may scale well.

If you will indeed have only one wiring closet per floor, with one switch to support the entire floor, you may want to consider deploying a routed access layer solution, which will keep the responswibility of inter-vlan routing local to the floor switch itself, relieving the distribution/collapsed core layer's L3 switches/routers from having to do it. It will also minimize your layer 2 switched environment, giving you more protection from the occurence of a Layer 2 loop.

Amit is the expert on this particular thread, so I would wait for him to give the positive nod to what I have written.

HTH

Victor

For a WAN router, the 2800 series is suitable for multiple E1s, but if you believe you will step up to a DS3, the 3800 series would better position you. If you envision LAN routing, i.e. you will have LAN connected servers, for the size your note, I would recommend a L3 switch in addition to the WAN router.

You haven't described what type of bandwidth you expect to support, neither host connections or uplinks. You have noted cost considerations, so keeping that in mind; assuming 100 Mbps client and 1 Gbps servers, you might be able to use a stack of 3750s, both as your LAN router and server edge (assuming you're not going to have a huge number of the latter -- 24 or less).

The 3750G-12S model could be used to terminate fiber gig access uplinks, and the 3750G-24T, within the same stack, to connect servers with copper gig ports.

On the client edge, with a LAN router on the other side of the closet uplinks, such as the above mentioned 3750 stack, you could get by with just L2 switches. You can also use 3750s for user access edge devices too. The two primary advantages of the 3750 is its stacking feature and being a L3 switch.

Don't forget to obtain POE ports on your edge devices if needed by your IP Phones.

Recommend you do not extend VLANs beyond any closet, route between them. (That might be what you intend, if your 6 VLAN per floor are unique.)

Consider dual uplinks per closet (which can terminate within two different 3750G-12S within the same stack).

Consider a second 3750G-24T within the central stack so upon failure of one you can rapidly reconnect servers (or have them dual homed). Also consider a RPS unit for this stack, if not dual homed.

dongdongliu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,Anita

my suggestion are:

access layer:

for IP phone(both sopport POE)---

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560G-48PS-S: 48 10/100/1000T PoE + 4 SFP Standard Image

or

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560G-48PS-E: 48 10/100/1000T PoE + 4 SFP Enhanced Image

for date---

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960-48TC-L: 48 10/100 + 2 T/SFP LAN Base Image

or

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560G-48TS-S: 48 10/100/1000T + 4 SFP Standard Image

core layer:

Chassis---

Cisco Catalyst WS-C4507R: Chassis (7-Slot),fan, no p/s, Red Sup Capable

Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engines---

WS-X4516: Catalyst 4500 Supervisor V (2 GE),Console(RJ-45)

Linecards---

depends on demand

router:

CISCO3845 with XXXXX Bundles

or

Cisco 7200 NPE Bundles---

7206VXR/NPE-G2: 7206VXR with NPE-G2 includes 3GigE/FE/E Ports and IP SW

product`s parameter are based on CISCO LIST for China.

btw:

firewall(include IPS)---

ASA5510-AIP10-K9: ASA 5510 Appliance with AIP-SSM-10, SW, 5FE, 3DES/AES

regard

dongdong

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card