cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

summarizing routes in an existing routing table

tateedward
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best method to summarize routes in an existing routing table. This is a production network and work will be done during a maitenance window.

I am trying to get the step by step proces if possible.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it depends on what you're trying to do.

If you want to reduce routes you've in a router, you can't do that once the routes have arrived already. So what you do, you use routes summarization in the routing protocols, the details varies by the protocol used and toplogy.

Generally nowadays route summarization is not much necessary anymore because routers are fast and have ample memory.

So I guess I go and examine all the BGP routes...then go back into router configuration mode then specify the summarization of the networks in the routing network statements?. I that the stetp by step process?

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which routing protocol is running ?

-amit singh

tateedward
Level 1
Level 1

The routing protocols I will be summarizing are BGP and EIGRP. I will also have to aggregate the announcements of the summarize BGP routes as well.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I dont think there is a way to summarize routes already there in the routing table.

As For Eigrp, you can by issuing (Auto-summary) under the Eigrp process, but this will bring Eigrp Adjacencies down for a while.

As For BGP, u can configure (Aggregation) to keep faciltate the Global BGP table Smaller as Possible. (This is for BGP Announcment).

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco