cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 ! Shall we move to it ??

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i work in a bank (IT WAN), we were thinking that is there any benefit in shifting to IPv6 ? right now i am quite sure that IPv6 is not supported by ISPs, so what might be the benefits of deploying IPv6 in our environment in order to convince my manager ??

Thanks

3 Replies 3

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Benefits of IPv6 would include

1. Larger IP address space

2. Auto configuration

3. strong security

4. Mobility

I would not shift to IPv6 unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. Most of the devices in your network may not support IPv6 in hardware in the first place. Plus your staff may not be too comfortable supporting IPv6 addressing / routing protocols etc

HTH

Narayan

Yes Narayan, these are all general advantages, but none of them is strong enough to force us to move to IPv6, i mean like what benefit will i get by running OPSFv3 ?? ok lets say i will not deploy IPv6 on my LANs so does it leave us with some strong benefit by running it only on our WAN links ?? do you think it will help us in QoS and VPN ??

What do you think ?

I cannot think of any other benefit.

Moreover if you deploy it in only part of your network, you would actually be running some sort of dual-stack mechanism and as said earlier the device may not be capable of processing the packets in hardware

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card