Level 1
Level 1

COMMAND TO SHUT DOWN ROUTER

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is no command to shutdown a Cisco Router or Switch.

Regards,

Dandy

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to shutdown a router (don't understand the reason for that, but anyway), then I recommend purchasing a 'managed' power supply. Remote control the power supply and deactivate the 'power port' where the router is connected to.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Personally, when a router gives me trouble, I just use a sledge hammer to shut it down. :-D

It is worth noting that the sledge hammer approach invalidates the manufacturer's warranty in almost all cases.

There is no IOS command to shut down a router. You can reload one, but you can't shut one down. You can also disable specific interfaces by using the "shutdown" command in that interfaces' configuration mode. Alternatively, if a full shutdown is needed, Cisco routers come with a power switch on the chassis.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Cisco's switches don't have an on/off switch, when their routers do?

Cheers

Graeme

> Incidentally, does anyone know why Cisco's switches don't have an on/off switch, when their routers do?

Not all Cisco switches, just the access switches (29xx, 35xx and 37xx). The 4500 and 6500 have on/off button. The answer has to do a lot with cost.

__

Edison.

"The answer has to do a lot with cost."

A good sledge hammer only costs 10 bucks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card