Level 1
Level 1

COMMAND TO SHUT DOWN ROUTER

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is no command to shutdown a Cisco Router or Switch.

Regards,

Dandy

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to shutdown a router (don't understand the reason for that, but anyway), then I recommend purchasing a 'managed' power supply. Remote control the power supply and deactivate the 'power port' where the router is connected to.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Personally, when a router gives me trouble, I just use a sledge hammer to shut it down. :-D

It is worth noting that the sledge hammer approach invalidates the manufacturer's warranty in almost all cases.

There is no IOS command to shut down a router. You can reload one, but you can't shut one down. You can also disable specific interfaces by using the "shutdown" command in that interfaces' configuration mode. Alternatively, if a full shutdown is needed, Cisco routers come with a power switch on the chassis.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Cisco's switches don't have an on/off switch, when their routers do?

Cheers

Graeme

> Incidentally, does anyone know why Cisco's switches don't have an on/off switch, when their routers do?

Not all Cisco switches, just the access switches (29xx, 35xx and 37xx). The 4500 and 6500 have on/off button. The answer has to do a lot with cost.

__

Edison.

"The answer has to do a lot with cost."

A good sledge hammer only costs 10 bucks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card