Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions on How To Document a Dial Plan

david.walsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a dial plan that's growing in complexit as we add sites. We're using tail end hop off so that we can dial to a remote gateway and hit the PSTN without incurring LD charges. This is all fine and good, but the problem is that it's getting insanely complicated to document and configure.

I see the way Cisco documents it in their SRND (with CSSes, leading to partitions, leading to RLs, leading to RGs, leading to gateways. That's lovely, if you have like 10 route patterns. However, multiply that by about 10, and it quickly becomes almost impossible to document it all out (lines going everywhere etc.).

Anyone have an suggesions on how you can draw it out in an elegant way so that you could actually follow it? Utilities would be great if there was one. There's the old standby of Visio, but I'm just looking for a good way to tame this beast.

Any suggestions? What are people doing with REALLY complicated DPs?

Thanks,

Dave

3 Replies 3

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

In this example, we will be creating a national dial plan that corresponds to the Australian national numbering system. It should be a simple matter to apply these principles to any other country, provided they use a consistent numbering scheme for local and long distance calls.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800945b9.shtml

Thank you for taking the time to post your response. However, I fail to understand how this addresses my need.

I'm looking for a good way to "document" a complex dial plan. Perhaps a utility or something that could help.

Thanks,

Dave

This tool is something that can Help you doing your Documentation: http://www.cmreports.com/shop/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: