Unanswered Question
Feb 17th, 2008

Hi friends,

I have done my CCNA and I am looking for CCNP as everybody know we have to pass 4 exams like BSCI, BCMSN in that which one we should take first. I want write first BSCI is it ok?

Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi Naidu

It does not matter which exam you take first, it is really a matter of personal choice.

Most people seem to advise taking the exams in the following order,

This seems to be due to the fact (as I am sure you are aware) BSCI deals with routing where BCMSN deals with switching. The precieved wisdom is that having gone through these exams first will help you with the final 2.

Best Regards,

ilnaiduccna Mon, 02/18/2008 - 02:13

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

My thought also that only but I have little bit doubt about that as you told i am prefering to write BSCI (first) and BCMSN (second)

Yes yes BSCI (Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks.........Routing) BCMSN (Building Converged Multilayer Switched Networks.......Switching).

davehartburn Mon, 02/18/2008 - 07:11

Another reason for doing the routing and switching first, is training material for ISCW and ONT are still a bit thin on the ground.

Having passed the first two, a single Cisco book and a few practice exams is about all that is out there for ISCW. Hopefully by the time you have done the first two, there will me more around for the latter two.

ilnaiduccna Mon, 02/18/2008 - 09:07

Hi Dev,

Good summits but looking for small clarifi... about your post that is "is training material for ISCW and Ont are still a bit thin on the ground" what are ISCW and ONT can you explain.

"Having passed the first two, a single Cisco book and a few practice exams is about all that is out there for ISCW".

Can you explain what are those which mentioned about in colums.

davehartburn Tue, 02/19/2008 - 03:41

The CCNP is made up of 4 exams/modules:

BSCI (routing)

BCMSN (switching)

ISCW (Remote access, VPN and firewalls)

ONT (QoS and other stuff!)

At the end of 2006, Cisco changed the CCNP course, changing the BSCI and BCMSN modules (though a lot of the material remained the same), scrapping two older modules and introducing ISCW and ONT as completely new modules to replace them.

Cisco released training material for the first two modules in early 2007, with many other publishers quickly updating their material to reflect the changes.

However, Cisco did not release anything at all for ISCW until July 2007. Until this point, I'm guessing most publishers did not really know what was on the course. Since then, nobody else has released any ISCW material and Cisco only stock the one book about it. This does make it more difficult to study for. Generally I have found, the more sources of information you can study, the better and more complete understanding you have.

My advice is to study for the BCMSN and BSCI exams now, as there is a lot of training material around. While ISCW and ONT draw upon knowledge gained in the first two exams, leaving them until later will give publishers more time to produce training material for these courses.

I'm currently studying for my ISCW and am a bit worried about the lack of information out there. From my brief look around, ONT looks like it is the same.

I would agree with the above poster. The ISCW and ONT have very little training material out there but you can always look up the course outlines on cisco website and read up from there.

Also, my close friend is an early 4 digit CCIE and he always told me that if I plan to go for my CCNP... just do it like you would troubleshoot in regards to the OSI model. You start with Layer 1 (CCNA1) and then work your way to layer 2 (CCNA2-BSCMN) and then go to layer 3 (BSCI-BSCMN).

So in summary... I would study the switching test first and then study the routing portion because a lot of specifics on the switching test are closely related to the routing but yet you focus on what base technology instead of a whole bunch of different technologies. (ie OSPF, BGP, EIGRP).

Either way start with one and just focus and then go to the next. Either way you have to take all four to get the job done right?

This Discussion