Cable type

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2008


We need to clarify that which type of cable is required to interconnect Cisco Ws-2960G-24TC-l with ws-c3508G-XL-EN series switch

let me know how to connect a ordinary ethernet port with GBIC port, Normally we use crosscable to connect two switches but in case of above issue we have GBIC port and ethernet port so please suggest as..


Vinoth kumar.H

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
hobbe Mon, 02/18/2008 - 05:40

You just do as you always do.

if they are standard configured as they come from cisco the Gigport will lower itself to 100Mbit.

Atleast the 2960 has auto Mdix (if i do not remember wrong) so the cable type doesnt matter, it senses it automatically.

How I would do it

I would use a crossover, cat 6 with a special color to distinguish it as a cross over.

Why ?

because if the 2 switches break down you can not rely on that the replacement you immidiately have at hand has auto mdix.

and Cat 6 couse if you change the 2960 ethernet to one with gig you still have a realy good quality cable. (yes it works with 5e to).

Good luck


This Discussion