Connection to SIP carrier

Answered Question
Feb 18th, 2008

I have a UnifiedCallManager 4.2 running MGCP and a gateway with E1 ports connected to PSTN controlled by CM. I want to connect this gateway to a SIP service provider. I used a gigabit port from the gateway to connect to SIP carrier and everything work fine at L3. My queston is how do I configure CCM and the gateway to connect to SIP provider. The gateway has MGCP configured(and it is controlled by CCM server), has IPIPGW IOS and I also activated SIP on it. Is there a way to configure CCM and the GW so that a the signalling for a call can be forwarded from CCM to GW and from GW to SIP carrier?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 8 years 8 months ago

Hi, on the CCM you have to add a SIP GW, there's a section about it in the documentation I believe.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 02/18/2008 - 10:05

Yes, basically, you configure

voice service voip

allow connections sip to sip.

then configure dial-peers with the desired destination-pattern. Use "codec transparent" or a voice-class.

Hope this helps, please rate post if itdoes!

mc12mc12m Mon, 02/18/2008 - 23:34

thanks for your reply. I've configured voice service voip and a dial peer on the gateway. The problem is how to forward packets from CCM server to gateway - if you try to make a route pattern on CCM server you have to choose a port on the gateway where you want the packets to be forwarded but you cannot choose gigabit port, you can choose only E1 ports.

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 02/18/2008 - 23:43

Hi, on the CCM you have to add a SIP GW, there's a section about it in the documentation I believe.

mc12mc12m Tue, 02/19/2008 - 06:29

as far as I know you cannot add SIP gw in CCM4.2 but you can add H323 gw and my carrier can supply H323 trunk instead of SIP trunk. So basically I have to add a h323 gw in CCM and make a new route pattern to forward traffic to that gw. On the gw I have to configure

voice service voip

allow h323 to h323

and create a dial peer to forward traffic to carrier.

My question is if a GW can be configured as MGCP gw and also as H323 gw and registered to the same CCM?

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 02/19/2008 - 06:31

Ok, so it will be: allow h323 to sip.

And yes you can have the same GW doing mgcp and h323.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

mc12mc12m Tue, 02/19/2008 - 08:42

Ok, thanks for your help. I will try this next monday and post the result.

mc12mc12m Thu, 02/28/2008 - 01:35

sorry for the late reply.

I finally managed to make this work. I added the gw in CCM as h323 gw and it worked but with codec problems - had delay in voice transmition and I couldn't hear all the words. I've tryed a H323 interconnection with carrier and it works fine. So now everything is H323.

Thanks for your support!

This Discussion