Juniper- JNCIA

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2008

I currently have my CCNA and I've already started working on getting my CCNP. But just recently I've started looking at Juniper certificates, mainly because Juniper offers free books and discount tests. Since Juniper is Cisco's main competitor I'm sort of curious to look at working with Juniper equipment. The Juniper equivalent to the CCNA is the JNCIA, as goes the CCNP-->JNCIS and the CCIE-->JNCIE. I understand that none of these certificates hold any value compared to the Cisco certs but I'm curious to know how different JUNOS is compared to Cisco IOS. Does anyones believe that having both vendor certs will make you a better network engineer? Has anyone tried taking the JNCIA test? easier or harder than the CCNA?

My understanding is the JNCIA only covers routing therefore no Switching, VLAN, STP, VTP, etc. questions.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tperrier Tue, 02/19/2008 - 01:14

I found the JNCIA-ER to be a very easy test. Granted, I'm a CCIE R/S so I'm not new to this networking thing either... I guess if I had to attempt the CCNA again, I would find it pretty easy too! The JNCIS-ER was harder, as would be expected. But I wouldn't directly compare the JNCIS to the CCNP: one exam vs four, for a start!

JunOS is a bit different from IOS, it's interesting to learn how Cisco's main competitor's OS works. The configuration is more wordy, the commit system is interesting... As for value, Juniper routers aren't as widely deployed as Cisco ones, and their certs are less well known, but the number of certified people is much lower too!

No switching, yes, look at the blueprint for the details. Juniper only very recently began to make switches.

royalblues Tue, 02/19/2008 - 06:50

Get yourself registered to the Juniper fastrack program

www.juniper.net/fasttrack

There is good presentation on JUNOS as a Second Language which gives you the comparison between JuNOS and Cisco IOS.

The program offers a pre-assessment test for JNCIA as well as JNCIS which when passed gives you 50% discount on the actual exam fee. (Used to get a free voucher for the real exam before 8th feb 08)

Narayan

AndySajous_2 Thu, 02/21/2008 - 07:48

Thanks for the responses guys....Anyone know of any resources where I can practice using JunOS on Juniper equipment. All the used equipment on ebay is still very expensive and I don't think my boss would appreciate me trying different commands on the routers at work.

Actions

This Discussion