cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 AIP SSM vs CSC SSM

csco11305595
Level 1
Level 1

I have read the documentation regarding the functionality of both the AIP and CSC modules, but since the 5510 has only one expanable slot, can one manually enter equivalent filtering url and url-server commands instead of installing the CSC SSM module to gain a subset of that functionality?

3 Replies 3

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Definitely you can continue to use URL Filtering without SSM/CSC card,

You can simplify configuration and improve security appliance performance by using a separate server running one of the following Internet filtering products:

•Websense Enterprise for filtering HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP.

•Secure Computing SmartFilter (formerly N2H2) for filtering HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and long URL filtering.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/filter.html#wp1045692

for IPS/IDS funcionalities you may add AIP-SSM/CSC module

I am at the design stage with a couple of clients - like both feature sets but your suggestion seems to be the only way to implement them. A follow-up question; When I buy the security plus license with the ASA 5510 does one need the CSC module to take advantage of those enhancements - spam,phishing, etc?

You need the CSC module to take advantage of those enhancements, even if you have the plus license.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card