ISCW Cisco Press issues

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2008

I have seen a lot of mix reviews of the Cisco Press books as far as getting study material for Cisco Certification Exams.

Here is a suggestion for all publishers. How about listing the official Exam Topics that each chapter covers. I have the Cisco Press ISCW book and found that there are some exam topics that are listed on Cisco's site, but there is no mention of those exam topics at all in the book. I have also had issues of registering the CD-ROM. The cd wants a 9 digit serial number and my book came with a 10 digit number. I also noticed that there is a newer edition of the ISCW book. The ISBN numbers are different & the publishing dates are a month apart. The table of contents does not have anything different from the original book. Does any one know the difference between these two editions?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Mon, 02/18/2008 - 16:20

As for putting exam topics covered per chapter:

The problem is that the exam (and topic list) changes much more often than the books get reprinted.

Regarding the differences: You might be able to check the publisher's site for errata and updates.

I got the ISCW book from Bookpool ~ a month ago, and everything worked fine and I didn't find any errata info on the site.

Good Luck

Scott

jlhainy Mon, 02/18/2008 - 18:05

Scott,

You bring up a very good point regarding the topic list being subject to change. That is something that I overlooked.

After going through the book, I actually have some experience in VPN's and device security so it is not all new. Some of the depth is more than I have had to deal with in the job and the SDM is new, but it really doesn't look to bad.

Have you already tested?

scottmac Mon, 02/18/2008 - 21:29

Still studying for a re-up. I'm probably gonna sit later next week.

SDM isn't too bad, it's basically just another GUI. If you have or can get access to an ISR router, you could probably buzz through it in a day or two (i.e., a couple hours) of playing around.

The book (and the practice tests on the CD) seem to be pretty good.I went looking for a Boson practice test and didn't see one for ICSW ... so I figure I'll hit the included one, then take a shot at the live test.

Good Luck to us both, I guess ;-}

Scott

Actions

This Discussion