cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rollover cable and cross over cable

wayne_fan
Level 1
Level 1

If I have OOB coonection from a terminal server to a router's console port, do I need to use rollover cable? how about if there's a patch panel betwn terminal server and the router, what cable should I use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Start simple: if it was a term server and a router (via console), the octal serial cable goes directly into the console port of 2500, 2600 ... anything with an RJ45-style port..

If the console is something like a 6500 or 7500, then you'd need an adapter to a db25 connector.

If you were going directly from a PC (db9f)to an RJ45-style console, it's via a "rolled" cable (reverse the pin order, 1-8, 2-7,3-6, etc) which is most often a powder blue flat cable.

Now, if you need to extend those connections, anything that ultimately results in a "straight through" extension should work, if it's not too long.

So, whatever cable you'd normally use, with whatever "straight-through" assemblies you use to create an extension.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Start simple: if it was a term server and a router (via console), the octal serial cable goes directly into the console port of 2500, 2600 ... anything with an RJ45-style port..

If the console is something like a 6500 or 7500, then you'd need an adapter to a db25 connector.

If you were going directly from a PC (db9f)to an RJ45-style console, it's via a "rolled" cable (reverse the pin order, 1-8, 2-7,3-6, etc) which is most often a powder blue flat cable.

Now, if you need to extend those connections, anything that ultimately results in a "straight through" extension should work, if it's not too long.

So, whatever cable you'd normally use, with whatever "straight-through" assemblies you use to create an extension.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card