cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

getting some hostflapping message on the Switch 4506.

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

On my switch4506 i am getting this error message."%C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING:".

Please tell me what is the reason behind this.

4 Replies 4

aijaz802
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cisco says....

This message indicates that the specified host is detected as a source address on multiple ports. Typically, a host is supposed to be learned on only one port.

The most common cause of this condition is a spanning tree loop. All traffic from the specified host is temporarily dropped. After 15 seconds, forwarding is reenabled. If the problem persists, the traffic from the problem host will continue to be dropped indefinitely.

Check for any spanning tree loops....

Rate if it helps...

Regards,

*aijaz*

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

HI,

Is there any HSRP configured? Which protocol you are using to avoid loop?

Visit the below link:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_tech_note09186a008063c36f.shtml

pls rate if it helps u!!!

Thanks

Goutam

which IOS is present in the Swicth, wthether cat OS or Cisco IOS.

Regards

Padmanabha

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Let me shear u something, back b4 someday we have faced the same problem (Hostflaping). After analyses we found that Management VLAN Gateway IP is conflicting with the other newly configured VLAN.

Symptoms we found that: some time we are getting ping response form our required Server but after few moment it has gone (RTO)

Troubleshooting: Check the standby VLAN configuration (if configured)

Check the HSRP configuration

Check the STP configuration

Check the port status (blk/root etc)

Try to find out the loop port

Thanks

Goutam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: