Views
Helpful
Replies

router 2800 config

dhanikonda
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir,

We have a head office in hyderabad having 2801 router in that advanced ip services ios is there and we have branch office at bangalore there also we have 2801 router in that we have advanced ip services ios is there already point to point leased line is working now we r planing and we have broad band at both sides now we r planing to implement vpn as backup line .in head office we have 2 sap servers my remote branch people is acceses to this servers.In which way is better (ipsec or ssl)plz give me config examples.

Regards

srinivas

2 Replies 2

twhittle1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I dont know what your SAP servers are but as far as I read the question you are just debating whether to use IPSec or SSL VPNs.

As far as I understand it IPSec VPNs are used for "fixed" VPNs because you need some form of client on each side create the tunnel.

SSL VPNs are used when you need access from anywhere. I.E. you could be in an internet cafe somewhere and still gain access to the office resources because the VPN is done through the Webbrowser.

In this case you are doing a VPN connection between the two routers so IPSec seems the way to go.

If someone wants to verify this that would be great because I'm hypothasizing.

Cheers

Thomas

Actually IPSec is very good at both "fixed" (LAN to LAN) and "dynamic" (Remote Access) VPN. The dynamic IPSec VPN uses the VPN client on a PC and can establish an IPSec VPN from anywhere that an SSL would work including the Internet cafe.

I agree with your observation that for a router to router connection it seems that an IPSec VPN would be better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card