Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus User Tracking LMS 2.6 User Name field is blank

steffen.plorin
Level 1
Level 1

He Experts,

please explain me how to fill the User Name field in CUT. We using active directory to get the user names resolved.

Danke Gruss Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The username field can be populated in one of three ways. Either your Windows hosts are running the UTLite process (see the User Tracking online help for more details on installing this), and they send periodic updates to CiscoWorks as to who is logged in on each end host. For your UNIX workstations, they need to be running rusersd, and UT will query each of the UNIX stations for the user logged in on the console. Finally, you can manually enter usernames, and they will persist.

In order for the first two methods to work, they must first be enabled under Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking Admin > Acquisition. Then, as I said, you'll need to install UTLite on your Windows end hosts (really on the domain controller) and enable rusersd on your UNIX workstations, and UT should start showing you usernames after the next major acquisition.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The username field can be populated in one of three ways. Either your Windows hosts are running the UTLite process (see the User Tracking online help for more details on installing this), and they send periodic updates to CiscoWorks as to who is logged in on each end host. For your UNIX workstations, they need to be running rusersd, and UT will query each of the UNIX stations for the user logged in on the console. Finally, you can manually enter usernames, and they will persist.

In order for the first two methods to work, they must first be enabled under Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking Admin > Acquisition. Then, as I said, you'll need to install UTLite on your Windows end hosts (really on the domain controller) and enable rusersd on your UNIX workstations, and UT should start showing you usernames after the next major acquisition.

He JClarke,

danke for your explanation. I got all what I need to discuss this implementation in our AD and PDC's

Gruss Steffen

I used to run utlite on all my wkstns when using LMS2.2. I notice that LMS 3.0 will not pick up the user info... guessing that LMS 3.0 has the file modified a bit ..right?

But from jclarke's post.. Is it possible to only have utlite (some version) of it running only on AD servers to get all the user info, or does it still need to be on the wkstns?

UTLite is installed on the domain controllers, but always runs on the individual client machines. Yes, UTLite has changed quite a bit in LMS 3.0. The same UTLite33.exe executable from LMS 2.2 COULD be used, but we have fixed quite a few bugs in it, so you really should upgrade to the one that comes with the installed version of Campus Manager.

As for not seeing users with UTLite in LMS 3.0, there have been a few bugs about this. Upgrading to LMS 3.0.1 will get you over some of them, but others may still exist. One thing I have seen is that the end user database entries get tagged with the wrong DB ID. This will keep UTLite from matching MACs to usernames. The way to fix this is to purge all of the UT entries with:

NMSROOT/campus/bin/reinitdb.pl -ut

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: