Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS to WLC (WLAN) Security Policy Issue

network_dude
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue when trying to enable security on a WLAN I create via WCS.

I'm able to log into WCS and create a WLAN. As long as security is disabled, I'm able to connect. I then go into WCS and enable WPA-PSK (TKIP) and type my PSK. As soon as I save and apply to the controllers, I am unable to connect to the SSID.

I then log directly into the controller and re-type my PSK…then I'm able to connect. It appears the PSK is not being correctly sent to the WLC for some reason. I've tried selecting ASCII, and Default on WCS with the same results.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

See software versions below:

WCS: 4.1.83.0

WLC: 4.1.171.0

Thank you,

Scott

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This could be an issues with WCS. I have seen where templates have been created on WCS, but doesn't create it correctly on the WLC. You can try to upgrade to 4.1.185, which i though was the most stable 4.1 code.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yeah, this used to be an issue with WCS at point. I don't have the bug number handy but i believe it has since been fixed. Upgrading your WCS code would be the best way to resolve this issue of PSK not being applied on the WLC...

I just installed WCS 5.2 and this is still an issue.

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Yep. Definite bug in WCS. Workaround is to set the key directly on the controller, as you've discovered.

You will find that WCS is very helpful with somethings and not as helpful in others....

I just did a change in WCS and was missing some of the options. I had to go into 20 controllers and make the minor changes to complete the config..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: