Replies

native vlan mismatch on trunk

nygenxny123
Level 1
Level 1

A new switch has been added and it was configured for native vlan14

This is connected to a current switch.

both interconnect ports have been configured as trunk

However I am seeing a native vlan mismatch.

13w6d: %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on GigabitEt

hernet5/0/1 (1), with Switch GigabitEthernet0/24 (14). (sw1)

The current switch has vlan1 as

the native. I could change the current one or the new one's native vlan.

My question is-If I change the native vlan on the trunk on the older switch..

What impact would this have on other traffic transversing the switch. Is native vlan configured on a port by port ..trunk by port basis?

2 Replies 2

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

By default, a dot1q trunk uses vlan 1 as the native vlan. The native vlan is untagged and is meant to support the following:

• CDP, VTP, and PAgP updates are always forwarded on trunks with a VLAN 1 tag. This is the case even if VLAN 1 is cleared from the trunks and is not the native VLAN. If VLAN 1 is cleared for user data, there is no impact on control plane traffic that is still sent using VLAN 1.

• In PVST+, the 802.1Q IEEE BPDUs are forwarded untagged on the common Spanning Tree VLAN 1 for interoperability with other vendors, unless VLAN 1 is cleared from the trunk. This is the case regardless of the native VLAN configuration. Cisco PVST+ BPDUs are sent and tagged for all other VLANs.

• 802.1s Multiple Spanning Tree (MST) BPDUs are always sent on VLAN 1 on both ISL and 802.1Q trunks. This applies even when VLAN 1 is cleared from the trunks.

• Do not clear or disable VLAN 1 on trunks between MST bridges and PVST+ bridges. But, in the case that VLAN 1 is disabled, the MST bridge must become root in order for all VLANs to avoid the MST bridge putting its boundary ports in the root-inconsistent state.

To answer your question, I would change the native vlan on the new switch to the default vlan 1 setting for dot1q trunks. And yes, it is done on a per-port basis.

HTH

Victor

By the wya, ifd you ever want to create an etherchannel from a grouping of trunk ports, all the ports must have the native vlan configured the same way...

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card