CCNA jobs

Unanswered Question
Feb 19th, 2008

To all the posters, did your CCNA cert help get a job/better one in the field?

About myself. I am three years experience in a technical support role (helped customers and colleagues) so I have no real IT experience.

I'm starting to have mixed feelings about the CCNA if it was worth the time and money. I'm located in montreal, qc and can't seem to not only get a job, but an interview either (resume and cv are fine).

Question is, what kind of job(s) did your CCNA got you?

cheers,

j

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
AndySajous_2 Tue, 02/19/2008 - 11:20

Having a CCNA isn't a magic pill but it does get your foot in the door. You might not have dozens of job offers but you will definitely have get more call backs and job interviews. The CCNA will get you to the interview but you have to have experience and education to complete the package. I'm not sure what the job market is like in Montreal but in Chicago, most Network Support or Level 2 Support jobs request a minimum of CCNA, sometimes CCNP. Search CCNA on the job boards you find dozens of current postings.

I will have to agree with the previous poster. You technically do not have any IT experience and if your CV reflects that then yes... it will be difficult to acquire a "Cisco" relate job.

Cisco positions normally have 3+ years of IT experience as helpdesk, desktop support, server support and then Cisco is usually the next step up. But there are always those few that got the "Cisco" job right from the beginning.

If you are looking for a "Cisco" job then look for contract work so at least you have some IT experience to put on your CV and who knows... you might get picked up by the company that you contracted for if you are good at what you do.

For me... cisco certs gave me a Cisco oriented position with a lot better pay than I was getting as an AD\exchange admin.

etp777 Sat, 03/01/2008 - 06:43

My CCNA got me into this job (Network Administrator) with no other networking experience, but I do have IT experience, ten years of systems work. So on Systems side I'm Sr. Engineer/administrator, even though I was only qualified as an entry level network admin here.

Istvan_Rabai Sat, 03/01/2008 - 08:45

Hi Jim,

My viewpoint on this is the following:

Cisco certificates are just a kind of indicators of the level of knowledge and understanding you have in the field of networking. But they are not automatic money generators.

No one will pay you money just because you ARE a man with CCNA or CCNP or CCIE certificate.

If you want to earn money, you have to prove yourself useful and valuable in a networking position. Without the knowledge of networking basics it will be very difficult for you to become useful and valuable for the company you work for (at least in a networking position).

That knowledge has to be applied for real situations and problems by solving them. And you will be able to solve networking problems if you have the knowledge and understanding.

You can earn a lot of money having a CCNA certificate, and you can earn peanuts by having a CCIE certificate.

It depends on the value you effectively create for your company you work for.

Of course, having a higher certificate will give you a better chance to solve bigger problems and be more productive than having a lower certificate.

Is it reasonable?

Cheers:

Istvan

rkazmierczak Sat, 03/01/2008 - 10:43

Istvan,

I do not think you can earn peanuts being CCIE :)

It is true that generally networking jobs require some other IT experience. But I know it is a viscious circle. To get a helpdesk job you still need some microsoft or network+ certs. But once you get a job like this it is still difficult to get a cisco job, well, because you do not have cisco experience (although probably any experience is better than none, but not always) There are 'entry level' cisco jobs like for ISPs or with Cisco partners but sometimes to get them you really need to convince the employer that you are very keen or serious about. Build your home lab, start studying for CCNP and in the interview show them that you really understand stuff. This will show them that you have potential. This worked for me.

Good luck

Istvan_Rabai Sat, 03/01/2008 - 11:46

Hi Rafal,

Of course, when someone is a CCIE, he or she deserves a better salary.

I wanted to tell with this statement that even if you are a CCNA, you can do a lot of useful things for the company, and you can have a higher than average salary.

And, even if you are a CCIE but you are unintended or lazy to do your job, then sooner or later they will fire you. The CCIE certificate alone will not secure your job and your salary.

You have to do your job and apply what you have learnt as a CCIE to become successful and to have a good salary.

Cheers:

Istvan

Actions

This Discussion