Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating fax machine into call manager express 4.0

oukpaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need help (Configuration guide) to integrate a fax machine to Cisco call manager express 4.0 or later connected via an FXS Card to the router.

Currently I have a dedicated line (number) from the E1 channel for the Fax machine.

How do I go about the configuration

11 Replies 11

pcameron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

plug the FXS card into the same chassis as the E1 interface. Point a specific dial peer for the fax number to the FXS port. Calls to this number will be sent directly to the FXS port.

Something like this should work ...Assume the inwards number range is 55551000-1999

The PRI card is in WIC slot 0

The FXS card is in WIC slot 1

The fax number is 55551999

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-select 1 e1 0/0/0 <--- very important for faxing !!!!

voice-port 0/0/0:15

cptone GB

!

voice-port 0/1/0

description - fxs to fax

cptone GB

compand-type a-law <---ensures same companding on voice ports so DSP is dropped after connection (pure TDM switching)

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

description - dummy dial peer to enable Direct inward dial

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/0

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

description - calls to fax machine

destination-pattern 55551999

port 0/1/0

!

dial-peer voice 3 pots

description - outwards calls to PRI - users dial 0 for outside line

destination-pattern 0T

port 0/0/0:15

!

Hi Paul:

Can you elaborate on how this works? Why do you have to enable DID?

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/0

!

Thanks,

Diego

There was a slight type on the config - it should read like this :

dial-peer voice 1 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/0:15 <---- PRI D channel

!

ISDN was designed to allow single stage dialing , meaning that a caller would dia a number, and the entire called number is passed to the called party and it should ring at this phone without any operator intervention.

To allow the voice gateway router to take the called number (otherwise known as the DNIS) from the Q931 setup message and match it on other dial peers, you need the POTS dial peer command 'direct-inward-dial'. With this command configured on a POTS dial peer, when a call comes in through the particular voice port , IOS will work through the list of dial peers. It will come to dial peer 1 , and since it has 'incoming called-number .', and the call came in on port 0/0/0:15, it will match on this dial peer. The DID command will then take the DNIS and this can be matched on other VOIP or POTS dial peers. Without the DID command, the caller woul just hear a secondary dial tone and they would need to enter the called number again as DTMF tones.

Hi,

Actually, no "port" command is not necessary for the incoming pots DP dedicated to direct-inward-dial.

I think this explains what is happening to me at the moment. I have a PRI PSTN trunk where I can see the DNIS info on the Q931 messages but yet I can't get the incoming calls to match any DNs. The callers get a dial-tone and then a fast-busy. Will creating this dummy dial-peer with the direct-inward-dial command fix this system system-wide or do I need to use it somewhere else?

Thanks,

Diego

You configure as above and that's it.

Had you reported the symptom of getting dialtone in the other thread, I could have suggested that before.

Yes, you are right I should have mentioned it. I didn't realize that was such an important clue at the time.

Rgds,

Diego

Hi Paul,

I am trying the following

dial-peer voice 70 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/3/0:23

!

When I enter this all incoming calls get the dreaded three increasing pitch tones. Without the command I receive the secondary dial-tone that you mentioned. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Diego

Actually, nevermind. I got it. Seems I need that dial-peer AND a translation profile on my PRI voiceport. Looks like I am good to go.

Thanks,

Diego

the thre tones suggest the router is looking at the incoming DNIS , failing to match on a dial peer and sending a clearing code of 1 - invalid/unassigned number.

Run 'debug isdn q931' and make a test call. Log this, and paste you current config here so we can check.

I got it working but maybe you could be so kind as to clear something up for me. I decided that it would be best to setup a simple translation scheme that trans DIDs to extension numbers on inbound calls and sends out the main office phone number as the calling number when any extension dials the PSTN. Something like this:

Inbound

4085551111 -> 201 (main PSTN to reception)

4085552222 -> 202

4085553333 -> 203

Outbound

201 -> 4085551111

202 -> 4085551111

203 -> 4085551111

What I did to accomplish this was to add a "incoming called" translation profile to my PRI (voice-port 0/3/0:23) and then an "outbound calling" to each of my dial-peer that match outbound calls.

My question is why did I have to apply the inbound to a voice-port but yet the outbound to the dial-peer? I tried to add the outgoing to the voice-port but it did not work. Why the difference?

Thanks,

Diego

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: