cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cut-Though, Fragment Free and Store Forward HELP!!!!

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the CCNA course and am wondering how to change between the 3 modes above. I have a 2950 and a 2960G switch. I have not seen anything in the book a about this. Is this a CCNP function?

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Charlie

Cut through and fragment free forwarding are very old concepts. I would hope that there is not anything in either the CCNA or the CCNP that deals with these.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In the book they keep talking about it but, they never show how to enable or disable either one of them. Do you know how?

Hi

You can't as it is hardware specific so it is not configurable by the user. The majority of switches are store and forward.

Jon

Charlie

I am surprised (and disappointed) that the book keeps talking about it. What book is this? And when was it published?

Most of the switches just did one or the other switching mode. There was a switch or two that had an adaptive mechanism and if the error rate was low it operated in fragment free and if the error rate increased it would go to store and forward. It was a long time ago and I do not remember the specifics of how it was controlled.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ISBN 1-58713-170-6

CISCO ACADEMY CCNA3 TEXTBOOK

Hi

As Rick says this does not have particular reference these days. However i think the key thing is that you understand the differences between them.

I wouldn't worry about how to change them on particular switches as you can't.

Jon

You guys have been so helpful. This will help me move forward in life on taking this test. Thanks.

No problem. Best of luck with your test.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: