Views
Helpful
Replies

Capture Public IP Phones users name

noscon123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

In my school there are many public IP Phones meant for any students to call their lecturers. Usually the lecturers wouldnt know who is calling them until they pick up the call and ask for the caller's name.

Now I like to create an application to request the student to pick up their name from a directory for identifcation purposes and then when they make a call to any lecturer, their name will be displayed on the phone screen. In this way, the lecturer would know which student is calling them even before they pick up the phone. Is this possible and how to go about doing this?

Prev I have some experience developing some a simple application with xml and jsp on ip phones.

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cronier.remy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Why don't use Extension Mobility.

You can create a profile with a special directory number for each student. They just need to log in on the phone when they want to make call and log out when they go back.

Moreover you should be able to see on the CDR details of calls passed per student with their numbers

Extension mobility is a feature of CCM

Hope it Helps

Remy

View solution in original post

Hello,

You can mass import most of Extension Mobility with BAT (Bulk Administration Tool).

Indeed, when you log on a phone it restart/reset.

It is the normal. The phone has to reload all the config and the new line.

I have no solution for that point.

However, i have also an idea for your needs.

You have to create a XML services which verify Student login/pwd and after that send an AXL/SOAP requet to change de presented name of the line.

You have to know that if th presented name is changed the phone has to restart too !!!!

Hope it helps

Remy (France)

The restart of the phones won't cost more then 5seconds in this case. So this might not be an issue.

an other option would be the creation of a own xml service. this will take some more time...

There is also an option to import users via a LDAP sync.

9 Replies 9

cronier.remy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Why don't use Extension Mobility.

You can create a profile with a special directory number for each student. They just need to log in on the phone when they want to make call and log out when they go back.

Moreover you should be able to see on the CDR details of calls passed per student with their numbers

Extension mobility is a feature of CCM

Hope it Helps

Remy

I forgot to say that on each EM Profile you specify a line a the name to present.

Regards

Remy

hi Remy

Fabulous! I'm going to use this extension mobility feature.

Btw do you know how we can mass import students' profile into the Call Manager cos we have close to a thousand students and if I have to import it 1 by 1, it will take a really long time!

Thanks!!

Remy

Also it says in the documentation that everytime someone login successfully to the phone, the phone will have to restart. I think its quite time wasting for a student to wait for the phone to restart before he can use as he will most probably in my situation, use it to call 1 time before he logs off.

Any other solution to go round this restart thing?

Hello,

You can mass import most of Extension Mobility with BAT (Bulk Administration Tool).

Indeed, when you log on a phone it restart/reset.

It is the normal. The phone has to reload all the config and the new line.

I have no solution for that point.

However, i have also an idea for your needs.

You have to create a XML services which verify Student login/pwd and after that send an AXL/SOAP requet to change de presented name of the line.

You have to know that if th presented name is changed the phone has to restart too !!!!

Hope it helps

Remy (France)

The restart of the phones won't cost more then 5seconds in this case. So this might not be an issue.

an other option would be the creation of a own xml service. this will take some more time...

There is also an option to import users via a LDAP sync.

Thanks Mike for your tips. Restarting my ip phone here will take close to 1 min though...

Will look into the LDAP thing...

Yes a fully restart will take about 1min. that's true, but with EM the phone won't do a full reset. It will only load a new profile onto the phone (with new line-numbers / line-names / etc). This will only take about a couple of seconds.

Create a demo user and configure a phone for EM and give it a try ;)

You are great Remy!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: