Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLAN Network and MS Active Directory Authentication

euroscriptde
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a future scenario where a corporate network is devided into multiple vlans across multiple switches.

All MS related servers are in a separate vlan, exactly as the users (multiple vlans like Management, Sales etc) that are going to authenticate against Active Directory.

If there is a inter-vlan routing enabled and configured, and there are NO access-lists that prevent traffic from accessing the different vlans, is it going to be possible for the clients to authenticate against the AD and get IPs per DHCP?

Do I need to setup something special besides inter-vlan routing? Perhaps "ip helper-address" for the DHCP to work across vlans? Or something special for AD authentication itself?

I will be grateful for any usefull links or configuration examples regarding this topic.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

AD authentication will happen as long as you have inter-VLAN routing enabled, yes. Nothing special at all.

DHCP, you'll just need the 'ip helper-address' command on all your DHCP requesting VLANs.

Unfortunately there's not many configuration examples that I can think of as you've correctly figured out what you need to get this working.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

a.cruea1980
Level 3
Level 3

AD authentication will happen as long as you have inter-VLAN routing enabled, yes. Nothing special at all.

DHCP, you'll just need the 'ip helper-address' command on all your DHCP requesting VLANs.

Unfortunately there's not many configuration examples that I can think of as you've correctly figured out what you need to get this working.

Thank you very much. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card