Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting switches

vinoth.kumar
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I just need to know how i can connect cisco Ws-3524-XL-EN Fibre port switch with the Allied tellies AT8016FSC switch

Iam not getting a link up

Can any one please help me in resolving it and how i can connect the two switches

Regards,

Vinoth kumar.H

5 Replies 5

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Vinoth:

make sure you are doing the following:

1. Use a crossover cable between switches if using copper. If fiber, make sure that the Tx port on one end plugs into the Rx port on the other, etc.

2. If you are trunking, make sure you use the IEEE 802.1q open standard.

3. Make sure speed and duplex settings match (hardcode them to be sure -- to prevent an autonegotiation incompatibility).

4. Make sure both ports are administratively "up"

Check these first and get back to us.

HTH

Victor

Thanks for your reply, but iam connecting the two switch with WS-G5484 GBIC module fibre

PLease let me know is there any anythink i can trace for the issue

Regards,

Vinoth kumar.H

rwyates_2
Level 1
Level 1

The 3524 has a Gigabit connection and the allied telsys has a 100 base FX. The only way to connect woule be to use a transceiver to convert the copper port on the cisco switch to fiber for the connection. or you can use a crossover copper cable to connect the 2 switches, but you will not be able to connect direct fiber to fiber.

Thanks for your reply, but iam connecting the two switch with WS-G5484 GBIC module fibre

PLease let me know is there any anythink i can trace for the issue

Regards,

Vinoth kumar.H

try this

get a crossover fiber then connect switches and then check the speed and duplex mode for both switches they must have the same spees and duplex mode

see if you Fiber is working properly

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card