cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General Switch quesiton

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

good day I have a quick question here I have a 4500 switch and off of this 4500 I have a connection to a server. What I want to do is instead of burning ports on my 4500 I was thinking about unplugging the connection from the server and connect it to another switch say a 2950 or something. Now the question is all the ports on the 2950 are going to be on the same subnet 192.168.131.64/26 do I need to configure anything on this new switch or can I just take it out of the box and plug it in?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ideally, you want to configure the 2950 switch in order to avoid this switch becoming the spanning-tree root for Vlan1 (default Vlan in all switches).

Also, you want to make sure the access-vlan in the 4500 and the 2950 matches, otherwise CDP will complain about mismatched Vlans.

However, a plug&play is certainly doable just not recommended.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I would recommend:

configuring the vlan in question on the 2950 switch

configuring the access ports to be in that vlan

enabling spannning tree or Rapid spanning tree

configuring a L3 vlan 1 interface for remote management

configuring the default gateway for remote access

configuring a trunk to the 4500 which will allow vlan 1 (mgmt) and the server vlan in question.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ideally, you want to configure the 2950 switch in order to avoid this switch becoming the spanning-tree root for Vlan1 (default Vlan in all switches).

Also, you want to make sure the access-vlan in the 4500 and the 2950 matches, otherwise CDP will complain about mismatched Vlans.

However, a plug&play is certainly doable just not recommended.

HTH,

__

Edison.

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I would recommend:

configuring the vlan in question on the 2950 switch

configuring the access ports to be in that vlan

enabling spannning tree or Rapid spanning tree

configuring a L3 vlan 1 interface for remote management

configuring the default gateway for remote access

configuring a trunk to the 4500 which will allow vlan 1 (mgmt) and the server vlan in question.

HTH

Victor

Ok thanks guys I kinda thought so but wasn't sure if that was necessary. I will do as you suggest....thank you!!!!!

Youre welcome!

sanchezej
Level 1
Level 1

To answer your question in two parts... "Now the question is all the ports on the 2950 are going to be on the same subnet 192.168.131.64/26" Yes, all the ports on the 2950 will be the same vlan if you do not setup a trunk port between the 4500 and the 2950. You are only "daisy-chaining" the 2950 to whatever the switchport access vlan is set to whatever port you connect the 2950.

"do I need to configure anything on this new switch or can I just take it out of the box and plug it in?" You can either just plug the 2950 in and get the scenario above or you can configure trunking between the 2950 and 4500 and span all the vlans across the trunk port. So for example... if you have 10 vlans associated with the 4500 and you have port 1/1 setup for vlan 10. If you do not setup trunking then all the ports on the 2950 will be associated with vlan 10 as long as you want the traffic to cross the 4500. In other words... the 2950 will only have 1 vlan.

If you trunk the 2950 and 4500... you can set the 2950 to have all 10 vlans as long as you trunk it properly and do not prune any of the vlans. You will also need to either setup vtp dynamically or setup vtp transparently and then create the same vlans on the 2950 as it is on the 4500. (Best way IMHO) Also, make sure your spanning-tree priorities are setup between the 2950 and 4500. You can set each vlan priority on the 4500 as a lower number and a higher number on the 2950.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco