cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC and Outlook Toolbar - Dialing from GAL

d.haeni
Level 4
Level 4

Can I use the CUPC Outlook Toolbar to click-and-call an Exchange Global Address List entry?

The User Guide leads me to believe just Contacts and Inbox/Sent Items are supported:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/1_2/english/user/guide/windows/CUPC02a.html#wp1465960

However, the Release Notes mention the "Outlook Address Book Application":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/1_2/english/release/notes/ol11718.html#wp60994

Your definitive answer is greatly appreciated

Cheers

/David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

okuehn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

unfortunately CUPC supports no click-to-dial from exchange GAL.

you can use the toolbar only for your outlook contact folders.

however, we have implemented the corporate GAL/ LDAP-directory in a browser application and the user can dial using cisco webdial.

cheers, Oliver

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

okuehn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

unfortunately CUPC supports no click-to-dial from exchange GAL.

you can use the toolbar only for your outlook contact folders.

however, we have implemented the corporate GAL/ LDAP-directory in a browser application and the user can dial using cisco webdial.

cheers, Oliver

Oliver,

I had been scratching my head about webdial. Although it says "web", I did see some online references that talk about using webdial to dial from any application. Is that untrue?

Can you really use it with web based applications only (similar to Skype)?

And one more. I didn't have experience with CUPC product, so you say that you can install an Outlook plugin that will allow you to call numbers from Contact folder? Is that integral part of CUPC or can it be used with just UCM 6.x ?

For now, we have a few selective users that use TSP solution to call from contacts, but toolbar sounds nicer :-)

Thanks,

David

The WebDial mechanism provides a SOAP API for applications to initiate calls on a UCM end point. You can use this with any application that can pass SOAP requests. There is API documentation on it for customers who want to integrate it into their applications (although CUAE is becoming the recommended route). Several Cisco programs can use it as well including the new "Click to Call" widget.

The CUPC Outlook plugin installs a toolbar that allows you to highlight an Outlook contact (not GAL entries though) and click a button in the toolbar to call them. It also provides a text box that you can paste any number into, press enter, and it will dial that call.

Calling from Outlook is kind of a mess. There is the TSP, CUPC toolbar, or the Click to Call widget now in UCM 7. None of them are perfect but all provide working solutions. In my opinion, the TSP is the most difficult to configure and maintain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: