cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

the extented ping command

ulasivictor12
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, am studying the ccna, pls i hav been trying to issue the extended ping command from the router's interfaces fa 0/1 which is connected to another subnet. i tried to issue the extend ping command to the switch which is connected to my router's fa 0/0 interface but i could not get any echo response. i hav checked the configurations such as ip overlapping, interface shutdown,i hav also checked the switch to see if the vlan 1 is shutdown but all is up and working. i dont know why i couldnt ping.

PLEASE ANY HELP GUYS!!!!!

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

When it asks for "Source IP ?" it has to be the IP address of one of the interface on that router, you can't just make something up.

It would help a lot if you posted what your responses were, and what the set up of the switch & router are.

Thanks

Scott

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, the extended ping command can be tricky if you don't understand it well. After you type the "ping" command, the first question is the protocol usually IP, next is the target address, type in the address you are pinging. There are a few other prompts before you get to "extended commands" you must type "y" here and enter the IP address of your fa0/1 interface, now you can change the other prompts or just press enter and the ping will be sent and the response will be shown. HTH

switch-sw1>en

Password:

hdc-400-sw1#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 10.3.xx.xxx

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: 10.3.xx.xxx

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.3.xx.xxx, timeout is 2 seconds:

Packet sent with a source address of 10.3.xx.xxx

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

switch-sw1#

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco