Boot Camp

Unanswered Question
Feb 20th, 2008

Ok,

I have several years experience in computer hardware and software. I also have some experience in Linux & Server operating systems. Basic networking is not difficult at all either, I've set up networks for small business using Linksys style routers, switches, access points, etc. with 40+ computers.

Recently I started a job that deals with MIS Provisioning which is just configuring basic settings in Cisco 1800 series routers, shipping them to the customer and turning up their T1/T3 circuits and assisting with any technical issues. I have been doing this for 6 months. This work is very easy, but I know this is nothing compared to what CCNA entitles.

I have been reading a little on Cisco here and there but no intense study has been done. I've also been studying information from Network+ for some time now, also not intense, just casual reading.

I want some detail on Boot Camps, My questions are:

* How effective are they really?

* What is the actual pass rate for IT Pro's that attend with little exposure to Cisco in the past?

* Will I need in depth study before and after?

* Any other detailed information you can provide!

I was thinking about attending the GlobalKnowledge 640-802 class that last 5 days and is $3200.

Anyone have any feedback on this company or know of a better boot camp? My spending limit is approximately $3500, I have a $4,000 credit card and some of that has to go to food and a place to stay during training. I'm located on the eastern coast, in the Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area and prefer not to leave the area unless the cost of the boot camp and travel equals less than my budget.

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi There

This is just my 2 cents worth.

I think boot camps work for some and not for others. I have heard of boot camps where you do 5 x 12 hour days and some people who attended these reported being mentally tired and unable to keep focus after about 6 or 7 hours. Thus these people did not have a positive experience with the boot camp.

However I have spoke to others who were experienced in the networking field, and enjoyed the boot camps. They went for the week, sat the exam the following Monday and passed.

I think if you know your stuff and don't mind the long days, they can fill your short term memory with enough information to pass the exam.

Personally I am not a fan of boot camps. I prefer to spend some time studying the material and working in my home lab to cement the knowledge in my brain. I learn better by "doing" rather than reading.

So for me it would be, purchase maybe Wendell Odom's ICND1 and ICND2 books (possibly $200) and spend the rest of my available cash on Cisco equipment on Ebay for a home lab. Or maybe look into Dynamips/Dynagen (a cisco emulator). This is a excellent product and free (however you have to provide your own IOS versions to run) and would be kinder on the credit card. I think this would be a much better investment, especially if you are planning on going further with Cisco certification.

Of course if your company are paying for the bootcamp, then why not attend.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Best Regards,

Michael

ChaosInMind Thu, 02/21/2008 - 05:46

I have CBT Nuggets video's and a Cybex Cisco 640-801 book. Lets say I spend one hour a day for the next month studying the videos and book, then take the boot camp.

dbeare Thu, 02/21/2008 - 07:57

You need to get the study materials for the 640-802, the 640-801 has been retired. There is quite a bit of new information. 1 hour a day for a month and a boot camp may be enough, depending on how much you already know. Personally, I had no exposure to Cisco equipment and took an old ICND course back in August, then bought lab equipment and studied for about 2 hours a day for 3 months, along with 4-6 hours on weekends, and passed the CCNA at the end of December with ease.

ChaosInMind Thu, 02/21/2008 - 08:09

Yeah, 801 is out of date but its still a viable source of information if you ask me. Plus the boot camp I'm looking to take should fill in the blanks.

Anyone else have any feedback concerning my first post?

dbeare Thu, 02/21/2008 - 08:53

I know that Global Knowledge has some of the best classes in the industry, it's where my employer sends people for classes, so they should be a great source. Best of luck.

rgfrergfre Thu, 02/21/2008 - 11:10

I went to the Intense School boot camp. I was satisfied with the experience. You have to put in study time in the evening hours. Plus I went through online training before the camp. Without it the camp would have been a struggle.

ChaosInMind Thu, 02/21/2008 - 11:59

I saw that intense camp has online training before hand, must be part of the entire training process they put you through.

Im trying to stay closer to Cisco Authorized partners if possible, or highly credible educators with a proven track record.

Jason Fraioli Fri, 02/22/2008 - 13:12

I have heard nothing but bad reviews from global knowledge.

Trainingcamp.com worked out great for me. I had a little to moderate amount of Cisco hands on experience before the camp, but they really filled in the gaps and gave me a really good foundation to work from.

If you decide to take a camp, be sure you are going to one that will really teach you the concepts. Alot of camps out there are nothing more than brain dumps, you don't need or want that sort of training.

ChaosInMind Fri, 02/22/2008 - 13:41

No brain dumps (bad!) I am chasing a career, not a piece of paper.

Training camp for the CCNA is $4,295.00... which is really pushing it for my budget!

The problem is indeed finding one to rely on, which is the main reason for making this post. Who can I trust? Who will really teach me the material? Unfortunately, over $4000 is not an option. I really need something around $3500

Jason Fraioli Fri, 02/22/2008 - 14:04

Some of the other students in my camp had taken other boot camps with providers such as global knowledge, intense and a few others. All those students said that trainingcamp blew their expectations out of the water.

I'm not sure about other camps, but I know trainingcamp includes hotel and 2 meals a day into their price.

Plus they give you a laptop with wi-fi to use for the duration of the camp.

ChaosInMind Wed, 02/27/2008 - 07:57

It is still much more expensive than I can afford. Unfortunately it's just not an option. I have TrainSignal Cisco Routing videos, an old 640-801 Cisco book, Boson Netsim 6, PrepLogic 640-801 CCNA Lecture, and six months basic hands on experience as a MIS provisioning engineer for T1's.

Global Knowledge has a class at the end of this next month. I'm sure if I study for an hour every day and mix all these materials, I should do fine by the time I get into the boot camp.... I hope.

GlobalKnowledge can't be that bad, right?

ChaosInMind Mon, 03/03/2008 - 09:49

This is confusing. Half the things I read about Global Knowledge are negative and the other half are very positive. I know it comes down to the instructor, but its difficult regardless to make a choice when there is no good information one way or another.

rgfrergfre Wed, 03/05/2008 - 06:34

I didn't notice any "free" resources, and the demos pointed to "page cannot be displayed". This seems to be just a brain dump. True or false?

Actions

This Discussion