Views
Helpful
Replies

CATOS to IOS Migration

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have two SUP32 one was IOS based and the other was CATOS based. I have migrated the CATOS SUP32 to IOS and since then it takes double the time the original SUP32 IOS base to boot. Any ideas?

Remarks:

- Both are running same IOS and Feature set version

- Both are exact same ammount of memory/ Flash

- Even if I plug the second (Migrated) SUP alone in the switch it takes longer than the original one.

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

do you have some boot commands in config file of the migrated switch?

do you note any error in console when booting?

Hello,

I have no boot commands in the config. Just the BOOT variable for the system to boot from the required IOS. During the boot no errors. it just take longer than the first SUP.

Regards,

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most IOS based switches take a long time to boot specially the 6500's with IOS . Catos was relatively quick to boot whereas when they combined all the functions into one image they take upwards of 8-10 minutes on some sup 720's. The images have gotten huge now where some 6500 code is a whopping 80 meg or more . not one of cisco's strong points as far as boot times.

I understand but why does the first boot faster eventhough it is exact same hardware?

Thanks,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you identify the 3 images you're using (i.e. CATOS and IOS for MSFC, and IOS native)?

When you note plugging the migrated SUP alone in the switch, this means you pull the CATOS sup and swapped it with the migrated SUP such that the migrated sup is again running CATOS hybrid?

PS:

Don't know if it's still true on sup32, but recall on earlier sups, hybrid and native IOS were not exactly the same. There were some subtle feature differences.

Also don't know if this could be a factor with your sup32s, but some of the later IOS packages might auto upgrade firmware. I.e., it might mean your two sup32 are no longer really identical.

Q1 Answer:

The SUP32 came with CATOS and IOS for MSFC and I have migrated it to IOS native.

Q2 Answer:

When I unplugg the original native IOS SUP32 from Slot 7 and leave the newly migrated to Native IOS in Slot 8 and try to boot it also takes a long time.

Q3 Answer:

I don't know if the firmwares are different but I have downloaded the same exact image that is currently running on the original SUP32.

Regards,

I don't have anything on point here, just some advice. Call TAC. If you can't get the issue resolved you can RMA the SUP. I believe that you can have them load a specific IOS version on the replacement SUP but I could be mistaken.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card