Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP1250

wildker-vit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Does anybode know if two AIR-AP1252G-A-K9 can work as wireless bridges?

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Artem,

Here is the related info;

Q. Does the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series support bridging and backhaul functions, in addition to its access point function?

A. Yes. When operating in the standalone (autonomous) mode, the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series supports link role flexibility, providing both access point and bridge functions through configuration of each radio as an access point, repeater, root bridge, non-root bridge, or workgroup bridge . This array of configuration flexibility enables the Cisco Aironet 1250 Series to address applications including basic wireless LAN coverage, wireless LAN coverage with wireless backhaul, and more traditional bridging applications.

From this good 1250 Q & A;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/prod_qas0900aecd806b7c82.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have another question about this conversations.

Aironet 1250 support bridging with 802.11a/b/g protocol, but does it support bridging with 802.11n protocol? are you sure?

What is it the best antennas type?

Thanks

I would like to know this as well.

We are looking to try a 1250 as a bridge with 6 directional antennas to maximize bandwidth. 300mb/s on 2.4ghz and another 300mb/s on 5ghz.

Anyone out there think this will work?

Well I went ahead and tested it out and discovered that we get the equivalent of a T3 or 45mbit connection while in bridge mode with the 1250.

And this is for each radio:

2.4 = 45mbit

5 = 45mbit

Not quite the results we were hoping for but it will do the trick.

I was told that bridging is indeed supported, but only for links less than 1 Mile.

This AP was not necessarily designed to be a bridge, but the functionality was intentionally left in the IOS image.

I am interested in hearing what antennas you used in the testing. Particularly for the 5Ghz testing.

Tim

Hi Tim,

The test was performed in a lab environment with rubber duck antennas.

I will post again when tried outdoors in a real scenario.

Ryan

Are you able to change the channel width to 40-MHz to do your testing?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

fella,

I did change settings for max. throughput which upped the channel width to 40MHz, and ran the test again. I received just about the same results.

Using the same methods as before I achieved T3 to OC1 speeds. I transferred a 1.4gb file in approx. 4 minutes.

T3, DS-3 44.736 Mbps 4 mins, 28 secs

OC-1 51.840 Mbps 3 mins, 51 secs

Have currently set up a labtest with a 12Km (5GHz)link with 28dBi parabolic dishes. 2 antennas on the root and one antenna on the non-root site. This is on a very flat pine wooded terrain and none line of sight. The obstruction is some trees halfway maybe 2m too high.

Get a stable m1 link with an average -89db signal. This is poor, but i also tested some Mikrotik equipment on the same antennas and the result wasn better. Infact it was poorer with an average signal of -90db. The recieve sensitivity is better on the Atheros chips on the Mikrotiks so i will do some further testing with the Cisco 1250s since they could associate under such conditions.

I wonder about is there any good explanation why you cannot use theese radios for longe range links? Is there any special tweakings with timeouts etc that can be done on software level?

What does the range setting do?

No.. you can only use ONE RADIO to do Bridging.. there is no support within the product to use BOTH radios in Bridge mode for even more thoughput...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: