Views
Helpful
Replies

using a /22 over internet

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are doing BGP multi-homing and have to have a /22 APNIC IP pool. The requirement is for site to site VPN, outside firewall machines etc.

I would like to know what are the best practices for advertising the /22 on the internet and the possible IP scheme between my router and firewall. I have thought of using ISP1 as the primary for a /23 and ISP2 for teh remaining /23.

-Sai.

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Sai,

My suggestion would be to advertise one block via ISP1 and another via ISP2. You can use AS-Prepend to make one block look less attractive via a certain ISP

Between the router and the firewall, you can use a /23 which should satisfy all your VPN needs and say primarily routed via ISP1. The other pool can then be used for NAT and routed primarily via ISP2

Narayan

Narayan,

By one block, do you mean a /23 or it is advisable for me to advertise 4*/24 networks?

-Sai.

Sai,

I would suggest 2 x /24 block ... It will leave you with 2 more blocks which can be used at another site at a later stage rather than agian going through the APNIC/IRR update process :-)

Edit: I agree with Dandy that whatever you plan needs to updated to the ISPs and should be reflected in a similar way in the internet routing databases (Radb etc)

Narayan

gaurav_thapar79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sai,

You can advertise 1st prefix via ISP-1 and 2nd prefix via ISP-2. You can use PBR and use AS-PREPEND vis-a-vis in each OUT-PREFIX-ADVERTISE respective Policy.

This will advertise from each peerings and provide fall back option on per prefix as well.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Don't forget to tell both ISP to permit /22 because if you tell them that you are advertising only /23, they will put an ACL in the interface of their router connected to your router or a prefix-list for incoming prefix originating from your router just for /23. In the future, you may change your configuration advertising the whole /22 or you swap the advertisement between two ISP, then you will have a problem that you may not immediately see the root cause.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card