Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration for NM-1A-T3/E3

sachins_shinde
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please help me with minimal configuration to configure T3 link with NM-1A-T3/E3 cards on 3845 at both ends.

12 Replies 12

adam.sellhorn
Level 4
Level 4

Attached is a Cisco document with examples. I think you will find it very helpful.

Hi,

NM-1A-T3/E3 is an ATM card. I want config for ATM T3 interface.

Thanks,

Sachin

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In case you are unable to see any interfaces for NM-1A-T3/E3 - You would first need to issue 'card type {t3 | e3} slot' command.

HTH,

Vaibhav

Thanks Vaibhav,

In my scenario, Link is point to point lease line and at both terminating router have NM-1A-T3/E3 card (no ATM switch inbetween). Now to configure this link do I need to create PVC? what will be the minimum configuration to make this link up as T3.

Thanks,

Sachin

Hi,

the config is

! R1

interface Serial1/0

description connected R1

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252

dsu bandwidth 44210

framing c-bit

cablelength 10

serial restart-delay 0

! R2

interface Serial1/0

description connected R2

ip address 172.16.1.2 255.255.255.252

dsu bandwidth 44210

framing c-bit

cablelength 10

serial restart-delay 0

rdgs

Anita, most of the config won't apply Sachin, you have serial T3, he has E3/T3 ATM.

Hi All,

Please help me out...

What is exactly that you want to know or don't understand ?

Each ATM configuration is different, but in any case you should see first from "show controllers e3" that you is up/up and no errors.

Hi,

I have NM1A-T3/E3 cards on two routers, these routers are connected back to back [no ATM network inbetween]. I need minimal config. to make the link up. Also since in this scenario there is no ATM switch so do we really require to configure PVC?

Thanks,

Sachin

Hello,

You should configure the card type first as has already been suggested (card type t3 ). I have not work with this particular ATM module. So, if there are any other dark secret tricks to make it work, I don't know about them.

Since the routers have those same modules and are connected back-to-back, I guess they also have the same default configuration on the ATM interfaces, so there should not be any problem to make both interfaces come up/up by issuing a "no shut" at both sides (if your cabling is also fine). Care is usually needed with the config if an ATM switch with different default config is directly connected to the routers.

Yes, you need to configure a PVC, put an IP address in it, so that routers can do IP routing taking the PVC way into consideration and most probably you need to enable a routing protocol between the routers over the point-to-point ATM PVC. The ATM link is just a flat cell-pipe and you need the PVC to make the routers "see" a way to route traffic in the form of cells via this pipe.

Some typical configuration that can get you started is the following:

card type t3

interface atm

no shut

pvc 1/32 ! example numbers for vpi/vci, have significance only on this b2b link, must be the same on both sides for the PVC to work

encapsulation aal5snap

ip address w.x.y.x 255.255.255.252 ! /30 subnet on the p2p PVC

ubr 44209 ! pvc max bandwidth for ubr traffic class in kbps, 44209 kbps is maximum for T3 in ATM

Kind Regards,

M.

Oops, said nothing about the clock. Default is line, so one of the 2 sides has to be internal.

card type t3

interface atm

atm clock internal ! only on one of the 2 routers, leave other router with default

no shut

If you issue commands above on both sides (except clock), at this point you should see the atm interfaces coming up/up. The rest of the config is not necessary for the atm interface to come up/up, but is necessary for the interface to be useful in the sense of routing some traffic.

Kind Regards,

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card