cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Number of IP Phones on a CME Router (SCCP+SIP)

gruiz
Level 1
Level 1

A CME router has a hard limit of ip phones based on the router model (2801=24, 2811=36 and so forth). If I have a mixed SIP/SCCP system would I be able to double the number of phones supported by that specific router? Like 36 SCCP and 36 SIP?

Thanks

Gabriel

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gabriel,

This maximum is the max number of IP phones (SIP or SCCP). Take a look at the following link. Notice that there is a case where the maximum number of SIP phones is less than the maximum number of IP phones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme34spc.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hola Gabriel,

notwithstanding the published documents, the CME system does not enforce the sum of SCCP and SIP phones could to not exceed the maximum number per type.

Moreover, for sccp, the actual configurable number is slightly higher than the published numbers.

So, you should be able to have a system having maximum sccp and sip phones simultaneously.

That would be most certainly a non supported configuration, and one that is difficult to maintain and to explain to users why certain phones do things in a way and others in another or not at all.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I did a test with a 2811 I have in the lab and I was able to add (with dummy MAC addresses) 36 SIP Phones and 42 SCCP Phones. It did not let me add a 37th SIP phone or a 43rd SCCP phone. So technically is possible to have 78 phones on a 2811. The question would be, is this supported by TAC?

I guess not, but only the TAC can answer this question.