Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks Backup Problems

wil6707
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm running LMS 2.6 with Common services 3.0.6.

When trying to do a backup I get the followoing error:

Backup failed. Reason is ERROR(686): Cannot create or back up tar file. Backup cancelled. Verify that you have write-access to this directory.. Please look into C:/PROGRA~1/CSCOpx/log/dbbackup.log.

I have attatched the latest log.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default, the backup runs on a live system. If people are using the system, jobs running, etc. files can be modified while tar is backing them up. This generates the error you're seeing in the log. There are two solutions for this. The first is to schedule the backup when the system is idle. However, if LMS is managing a large network, this may not be possible. The other solution is to set BACKUP_OFFLINE=YES in NMSROOT\conf\backup.properties. This will cause the backup script to shutdown all of the LMS daemons prior to backing up the system, then restart them when the backup is done.

Well, I set set BACKUP_OFFLINE=YES in NMSROOT\conf\backup.properties like you said. It seems that it did help to get the backup of the databases farther along, but now I have some new weird error causing the backup to fail. I attached the log from the attempt this morning.

Thanks,

Wil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: