cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing default gateway on ASA5505 DHCP server

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

How do you configure the default gateway on the ASA5505 DHCP server? By default is the Inside Eth address the deafault gateway? if so can it be changed?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Try setting DHCP option 3. Don't know if it'll work in routed mode. The documentation states using DHCP option 3 is the way to set a default gateway in transparent mode. See this section of the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/dhcp.html#wp1059065

Step 7 there states:

Step 7 (Transparent Firewall Mode) Define a default gateway. To define the default gateway that is sent to DHCP clients, enter the following command.

hostname(config)# dhcpd option 3 ip gateway_ip

If you do not use the DHCP option 3 to define the default gateway, DHCP clients use the IP address of the management interface. The management interface does not route traffic.

Please let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

Sorry for the delay; it took me a couple of weeks to finally be able to try this in the lab...

It is actually possible to configure the DHCP server on a PIX/ASA to provide a default gateway that is different from itself. For example, you could configure the PIX/ASA to send via DHCP a default gateway that is a router or another PIX/ASA.

To do this you use the command "dhcpd option 3 ip " as I originally suggested.

I wasn't sure because I thought I had read somewhere that the PIX/ASA didn't support. Perhaps that was true in pre-7.x software, but I just tested on 7.2.x and it worked just fine.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have DHCP configured on inside Innterface of ASA then the DG assigned to internal machines would be its own IP address (ASA 5505), you can change it

How do you change the default gateway?

Thanks.

where do you want to change your DG ? whats configuration on ASA ? Is ASA inside Interface acting as DHCP server ?

We have would like the default gateway on the ASA DHCP server to be the MPLS router's Eth int.

Try setting DHCP option 3. Don't know if it'll work in routed mode. The documentation states using DHCP option 3 is the way to set a default gateway in transparent mode. See this section of the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/dhcp.html#wp1059065

Step 7 there states:

Step 7 (Transparent Firewall Mode) Define a default gateway. To define the default gateway that is sent to DHCP clients, enter the following command.

hostname(config)# dhcpd option 3 ip gateway_ip

If you do not use the DHCP option 3 to define the default gateway, DHCP clients use the IP address of the management interface. The management interface does not route traffic.

Please let us know how it goes.

NO thats not possible

Sorry for the delay; it took me a couple of weeks to finally be able to try this in the lab...

It is actually possible to configure the DHCP server on a PIX/ASA to provide a default gateway that is different from itself. For example, you could configure the PIX/ASA to send via DHCP a default gateway that is a router or another PIX/ASA.

To do this you use the command "dhcpd option 3 ip " as I originally suggested.

I wasn't sure because I thought I had read somewhere that the PIX/ASA didn't support. Perhaps that was true in pre-7.x software, but I just tested on 7.2.x and it worked just fine.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card