cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote VPN Default Gateway

itcarefree
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5510 terminating a remote access VPN using Cisco VPN client 4 and 5. Recently I have been advised that users are having trouble accessing network shares and I have found that the default gateway assigned to remote clients is invalid. The address pool for remote clients is x.x.1.235 - x.x.1.250. When I connect to the VPN and do an ipconfig I get a default-gateway of x.x.0.1. This address is part of our network but is a server and not a router. I am unable to find a command to set the default-gateway for remote access clients. Once I manually change the default-gateway everything seems to work. The problem is that users do not have admin rights to their PCs so are unable to change the default gateway. Where is this default-gateway being assigned to the address pool and how do I specify what default-gateway remote client should receive?

3 Replies 3

DrD3m3nt0
Level 1
Level 1

Use of split-tunneling should fix your problem.

Create an acl to specify VPN networks:

access-list networks_accessible_VPN standard permit x.x.x.x mask (vpn networks)

Use your VPN similar to below and add split tunnel functionality using the above acl:

group-policy remote_vpn_users attributes

banner none

split-tunnel-policy tunnelspecified

split-tunnel-network-list value networks_accessible_VPN

Traffic in the above acl will be encrypted and use the VPN tunnel.

All traffic will use your default gateway unencrypted and unaffected by tunnel traffic.

That seemed to fix the problem. Thank you for your help

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

When you do an ipconfig on the client, how many adapters and how many default gateways do you have? Do you have a default gateway for the cisco vpn adapter and the ethernet adapter?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**